pH Help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AVN

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
pH Help

So my new 65 gallon is slowly coming together. No fish or plants yet, still trying to get the parameters where I want them.

I'd like to get the pH between 6.8 and 7.0, but it is currently reading at 6.0. I've been looking into adding crushed coral to the canister filter, but I've never used crushed coral before.

Can anyone tell me how much I will need to add to reach this desired level? I will also be adding pressurized CO2 as well, so that will impact the overall readings too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Are you using R/O water? what do you have for substrate at the moment?

Dan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No R/O water, just from the tap. And the substrate is SuperNaturals Sand.

Edited to Add:

There is a large piece of new driftwood. This definitely isn't helping with the low pH, but water tests straight from the tap have a low pH reading as well.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 01:53 AM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
If possible, please test your kH and gH. When those parameters are known your pH issue can be directly addressed.

You can raise the pH by adding a small handful of crushed corals or cuttlefish bone, or any other water soluble carbonate source.

However this is a method to buffer your kH and protect against pH swings. Your gH, kH, and pH all work in tandem to stabilize each other. So you will need to adjust all three of them to where you want them to be stable.

Alternatively, give up on trying to nail the pH down perfectly. When it comes to fish and plants in the aquarium, so long as you maintain stability in the optimal ranges, you will not have any problems. To keep a certain parameter EXACTLY at a certain level is a tad ambitious for the reward it returns.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

hi

Last edited by AVN; 07-19-2017 at 02:05 AM. Reason: added info
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVN View Post
If possible, please test your kH and gH. When those parameters are known your pH issue can be directly addressed.

You can raise the pH by adding a small handful of crushed corals or cuttlefish bone, or any other water soluble carbonate source.

However this is a method to buffer your kH and protect against pH swings. Your gH, kH, and pH all work in tandem to stabilize each other. So you will need to adjust all three of them to where you want them to be stable.

Alternatively, give up on trying to nail the pH down perfectly. When it comes to fish and plants in the aquarium, so long as you maintain stability in the optimal ranges, you will not have any problems. To keep a certain parameter EXACTLY at a certain level is a tad ambitious for the reward it returns.
Right, I knew I forgot to include something! gH and kH are both at 0 both in the tank and straight out of the tap.

I've never had these problems before. I just moved to a new city. I'm used to having pH much higher and the water a lot harder.

What range pH/kH/gH range will it be possible to keep shrimp? Or will they also be OK so long as the parameters stay steady?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:17 PM
AVN
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Yeah the water chemistry is different from region to region, some places have a drastic difference city to city.

There are a bunch of different options you could use to raise the kH and gH of your tank, usually these come in the form of powdered minerals or liquid buffers. Once you get those two to the level you want them, then your pH will usually stabilize itself.

As for your shrimp question:
I keep CRS in pH: 6.1–6.5, kH: 0–2, gH: 4–6 TDS: 100–180, Temp: 69-74F
and RCS in pH: 6.4–7.4, kH: 2–5, gH: 6–8 TDS: 150–250, Temp: 69-74F

As you can probably guess from the difference in the two species, Crystals are more demanding in terms of water chemistry. Cherries will adapt to most ranges, but prefer the water to be slightly harder.

hi

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode