new co2 system with questions~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation new co2 system with questions~

Hey all, i just picked up my tunze regulator and diffuser, and got all that setup.... i started my one bubble a min. .. well no pearling yet~. so i check my ph, kh, gh, and the ph dropped from 7.0 to 6.5, which i figured~. the kh, gh were both at like 2... so i call my lfs to see how i can raise those~.. well i did a water change, with tap, and my ph bounced back to about 7.0, and a kh of 4, and gh of 3... guess what.. pearling after and hr~.. so i went to sleep, got up this morning and my ph is back to 6.5, and gh /kh are back down to 2... i run that co2 all night, untill i get a ph regulator~. .how do i keep my ph steady, also how can i keep my gh/kh at a good level.. is pearling a sign of a balanced tank>.. or as far as all the parameters being good?

things seem fine i guess. but just want to get these to a constant level... speically ph/gh/kh.. arrrgg..

thanks ya'll

chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 04:00 PM

First off, you want a Kh of 3degrees or more before injecting CO2.
Second, CO2 injection lowers pH only...Kh should stay the same. If it doesn't, you have some other acid eating the Kh in your tank rather rapidly...or (more likely) your test kit is bad and not giving accurate results on a consistent basis. Have your LFS test your water's Kh for you.
Gh doesn't even play into CO2 and pH, so I suspect that kit is bad too.

Pearling is a sign that water is saturated with oxygen, so the O2 plants give off bubbles to the surface, instead of dissolving into the water.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

so pearling is good?.. and the kits new, .. i do have some wood in my aquascape, that could be gettin me~.. but if i added cracked coral in the filter or something like fossilized rock (limestone) bring my kh up to a desired level>??
chris

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (9/100%)
Crush coral would work in raising your hardness up. Just add a small amount of it into a bag and place it into your canister.

Alternatively, you can use baking soda to raise the KH also.

Eric

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2004, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

cool thanks~.. i think thats the route i'll take.. seems easy. i do have two fossils that i remember raised it~.. so i'll dump those back in and take another reading~

thanks fella's..
chris

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode