Ammonia In Planted Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ammonia In Planted Tank

Having issues getting ammonia levels down in a planted tank. Any help would be appreciated based on the information below. Thank you.

Tank is a Fluval Edge with Fluval Stratum. Test kit is the API master test kit.

PH is 6
Ammonia 2-3
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5ppm

There are no fish in the tank. The water used was RO from my local shop. Tested the water twice from the storage container read 0 ammonia.

Tank is a week old 15% water changes every other day 0 changes in ammonia levels.

Additives used:

API Quick Start
API CO2 Booster
API Leaf Zone
Seachem Flourish

Picture as of last night.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 05:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your tank is still cycling. I, personally, don't buy into the quick start business. You will want to do some investigation on fish-in or fishless cycling to see what to expect by way of parameters and when they change, and what is necessary to build and maintain a robust bacteria colony.

Edit:

Good write up on fishless:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ng-148283.html

Good write up on a lot different aspects, focusing on fish-in:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...de-176446.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
There are no fish in the tank. The water used was RO from my local shop. Tested the water twice from the storage container read 0 ammonia.
Normally people dose the tank with ammonia for a few weeks before adding fish. when the bacteria starts to covert ammonia and nitrite to nitrate you tank is about ready for fish. This process typically takes weeks.

However RO has no nutrients in it bacteria need. I did an experiment with aRO water in a container. The container never cycled with adding ammonia. Since you have fish and are adding food your tank will eventually cycle but it could take months.

Quote:
API Quick Start
API CO2 Booster
API Leaf Zone
Seachem Flourish
There is nothing wrong with continuing using quick start. I would not use API leaf zone. It only contains 2 out of 15 of the nutrients your plants need. It is a very poor fertilizers. Plants will die in a tank with only RO, CO2 booster and API leaf Zone.

Which Sachem Flourish product are you using. If the bottle says Sachem Flourish comprehensive You are using a very good plant fertilizer. It has 14 of the 15 nutrients plants need. That makes it a very good fertilizer. Most other fertilizers are missing at least 4. If the flourish bottle doesn't say comprehensive its not going to help.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:55 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf View Post
However RO has no nutrients in it bacteria need. I did an experiment with aRO water in a container. The container never cycled with adding ammonia.
That's fascinating! I mean, now that I read it, it makes sense. But before that, I had always thought of adding minerals, etc to RO water for the fish and plants. It never occurred to me that the bacteria would need it, too. Great stuff.

|
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. Bought the quick start because it happened to be on sale for $3.99 at Petco.

I will double check on which Seachem Flourish version I have. Wanting to believe its comprehensive only based on what's happening with my java moss and HC. Went to 10 local shops looking for moss only found 1 with it and it wasn't in the greatest condition. There are several clusters starting to turn to a nice deep green color. The little HC strand that's in the front left of my tank is new growth that came out of no where.

Would adding in an air stone help at all?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode