Questions about my ongoing cycling - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about my ongoing cycling

Hello Forums,

Please calm my worries regarding my cycle; I have a hard time getting any readings at all using API liquid master kit (brand new, expires in 2022). I test every day, and keep getting less than 0.25ppm ammonia (very close to 0ppm actually), less than 0.25ppm nitrite (also very close to 0ppm ), and haven't seen any nitrate at all.

Here's the chronology:

June 15 - Started 30 gal planted tank (Staurygene repens in forefront, dwarf hair grass in midground, Windelov in the back, and 2 Anubias + 1 petite around my hardscape.
June 30 - A friend lend me a biomax of already cycled tank, which I added on top of my own biomax in filter. Also added a small jar of his cycled water, and some floating plants. He also convinced me to add fish and do fish-in cycling, since I was unable to get pure ammonia. I added 5 neon tetras.
July 8 - Added another 5 neon tetras.

And here we are. Water is very clear and clean, fish are actually doing great, and I still have no nitrates (and way too little ammonia/nitrite).

As an optimist, I think it seems to me this might go on for a few more weeks, and then it'll be fine....but I want your opinions.

PS: I know, I shouldn't have done fish-in cycling. I know, neon tetras aren't the best fish for fish-in cycle. Alas, it is what it is!

Clemroc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Update:

Neons are looking great, plants are green and healthy, but still having 0.25 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 0 Nitrate.
Could it be that all my plants are preventing the bacteria from having enough ammonia? Should I add more fish for more bioload?

Clemroc
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 02:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Seems like a cycle with fish.
I would not add anything for a month and see how things progress.
Neons are small and not a high load.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode