• 4 Post By Dman911
  • 4 Post By DigityDog70

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Red face RO H2O in Large Rubbermaid Trash Cans with lids on

Hi All,

I'm using two large Rubbermaid trash cans in my RO system as reservoirs and let the water sit for a few days prior to using it in my tanks.

After a while, a film seems to build up around the pump that I have submerged at all times in one of the two cans. It's a white milky almost slime, but the water doesn't look or smell bad, it's pretty clear and clean otherwise and water parameters have been great and plants are growing well and fish are healthy. I think the slime / buildiup is likey from the the water conditioner that I have added, Tetra Aqua Safe Plus?

I throw in some small pieces of wood that I will eventually use in my tanks, they eventually just sink to the bottom. I do this to lower the PH.

It has been hot lately (summer time and all) and I also use a vinyl hose and am noticing a little brown algae buildup in the hose.

It seems that it might be best to periodically just take my garden hose from the tap outside and wash down the equipment, wash out that slime and keep everything a little cleaner?

Any comments? Am I being a little overzealous here, should I just let the equipment build up a little, perhaps these buildups are fine and there's benefit to some natural bacterias being produced and then used in my planted fish tanks?

Either way, I don't mind washing everything out once a week or two, three four etc. Should I just leave it be as the buildup is good bacteria? I'm feeling (without) actually knowing that cleaning out the rubber trash cans, hoses and pumps with fresh clean taps water and then starting over with my RO water periodically is more than likely the better practice but then again, rinsing out your HOB filters with tap water is NON NO as you clean off and kill a lot of beneficial bacteria

Thanks,

DD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DigityDog70; 07-07-2017 at 01:16 PM. Reason: .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
RO H2O in Large Rubbermaid Trash Cans with lids on

Most definitely from the water conditioner. Really no need to put in conditioner into the water until you are ready to use it and then only treat water you are using. Most of the time the conditioner is good just for 48 hours anyway then no good again.

So I would just add the conditioner to the water you are using. I know for sure it's the conditioner because I was doing the same thing to the water I was prepping for my 60 gallon. However for the water for my shrimp tank was not adding the conditioner to the bin but just to the bucket when I would get water from the bin.

Either way I don't thing it's hurting anything just would not bother water conditioning the full bin but only water you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
This is just a bacteria build up. Its common on a lot of surfaces like suction cups etc. and is harmless other than appearance. I would guess its caused by your water conditioner providing a food source for the bacteria and like @clownplanted said treating water right before use is best practice. I would rinse the holding containers and only keep R/O with no additives and there are 2 options from there. Directly treat the entire tank volume in the tank your adding the water to prior to adding the water or Treat the water in the container then add to the tank. If your R/O unit contains a carbon prefilter (that is replaced within proper time requirements) then you don't even need a water conditioner.

Dan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-08-2017, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
A.K.A. Fish Room Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks CP, Dan! Much appreciated as always. DD

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode