20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quick Cycle Shrimp Tank

Hi all,
I have a new Planted tank with a filter thats been running just over a week now, unfortunately i will be going away in a weeks time but my Ammonia is still high and i want to move the shrimp over before i leave.

Recently been dosing Seachem Flourish excel to help with the DHG.

The substrate is new and filter has was moved from the current tank.

Anyway i can speed this up and get it done in time..?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_C View Post
Hi all,
I have a new Planted tank with a filter thats been running just over a week now, unfortunately i will be going away in a weeks time but my Ammonia is still high and i want to move the shrimp over before i leave.

Recently been dosing Seachem Flourish excel to help with the DHG.

The substrate is new and filter has was moved from the current tank.

Anyway i can speed this up and get it done in time..?

Thanks

I wouldn't add anything until the cycle is finished, especially shrimp. If you have a tank that's already cycled you can add some of the media to the new tank filter to help speed it up. Another option is put your new filter on your cycled tank for a week then transfer it back to your new tank. Any which way you slice it I would not add shrimp until you get 0 ammonia/nitrites and have your nitrates under control.

Just my opinion.

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I wouldn't add anything until the cycle is finished, especially shrimp. If you have a tank that's already cycled you can add some of the media to the new tank filter to help speed it up. Another option is put your new filter on your cycled tank for a week then transfer it back to your new tank. Any which way you slice it I would not add shrimp until you get 0 ammonia/nitrites and have your nitrates under control.

Just my opinion.

Dan

100% agree. Easiest would be to add media from tank that is already cycled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:

Just my opinion.

Dan

My filter was already transferred , ive got a sponge filter running atm on the old tank and thats it. There is no filter media but could i just use some of the substrate and put it into the filter its the JBL greenline M, so its got a compartment.

Or if there are any liquid quick starts to convert the ammonia?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
My filter was already transferred , ive got a sponge filter running atm on the old tank and thats it. There is no filter media but could i just use some of the substrate and put it into the filter its the JBL greenline M, so its got a compartment.

Prime will bind ammonia in the form of ammonium which is much less toxic but I would not recommend going this route because that bond only lasts approx 48 hrs and you won't be there to dose more. There are additives that are supposed to cycle aquariums faster but I have not used any that I have found to be effective and have not tried any in the last 5-8 years so others may have advice on that. Adding substrate and any rocks, décor etc. will help speed things up as long as you don't wash them first. Personally I would take the new filter and put it on the old tank and take the sponge filter and put it on the new tank as the bacteria on the glass, rocks, substrate etc. of the old tank should quickly (within a few days) repopulate enough bacteria to make up for removing the sponge filter and placing it in the new tank and also bacteria should start colonizing the new filter that's place the old tank. You will need to pay attention to your old tank over the next week to check for signs of a mini cycle. Adding some fast growing plants if you have from your other aquarium would also help. Again I would not put anything in there until you can verify 0 ammonia/nitrite and have nitrates under control though.

Dan
H_C, H_C, clownplanted and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Dman911; 07-04-2017 at 09:48 PM. Reason: Added
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Prime will bind ammonia in the form of ammonium which is much less toxic but I would not recommend going this route because that bond only lasts approx 48 hrs and you won't be there to dose more. There are additives that are supposed to cycle aquariums faster but I have not used any that I have found to be effective and have not tried any in the last 5-8 years so others may have advice on that. Adding substrate and any rocks, décor etc. will help speed things up as long as you don't wash them first. Personally I would take the new filter and put it on the old tank and take the sponge filter and put it on the new tank as the bacteria on the glass, rocks, substrate etc. of the old tank should quickly (within a few days) repopulate enough bacteria to make up for removing the sponge filter and placing it in the new tank and also bacteria should start colonizing the new filter that's place the old tank. Adding some fast growing plants if you have from your other aquarium would also help. Again I would not put anything in there until you can verify 0 ammonia/nitrite and have nitrates under control though.

Dan

Thanks a lot Dan gonna try everything i can to speed it up.

Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Try Tetra Safe Start. It contains the species of nitrifying bacteria you want and most people report success with it.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
Try Tetra Safe Start. It contains the species of nitrifying bacteria you want and most people report success with it.

Bump: Try Tetra Safe Start. It contains the species of nitrifying bacteria you want and most people report success with it.

Thanks will look into it

geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

I edited my last post. Please note you will need to pay attention to your old tank for the next week after removing the sponge filter as this may create a mini cycle. After a few days of good tests you should not have to monitor this.

Dan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
I edited my last post. Please note you will need to pay attention to your old tank for the next week after removing the sponge filter as this may create a mini cycle. After a few days of good tests you should not have to monitor this.

Dan

Thanks again, will do

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quick Cycle Shrimp Tank

Quote:

In my experience the liquid quick starts are liquid junk to be honest. You would be best off squeezing some of the sponge filter or if you could take part of it and use it on the new. Could put in new filter then just replace the old one in cycled tank with a new one. Would be enough bb in the entire tank to sustain. I would do this as the shrimp are top priority.

Edit. Again take @Dman911 advice. Do the swap like he mentioned. Add some liquid quick start in old tank as it may help negate a mini cycle. New tank should be good. Sorry only saw comments on previous page.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
In my experience the liquid quick starts are liquid junk to be honest.
This is generally true, most brands are packaged with I think the terrestrial nitrifying bacteria which is obviously useless for aquatic purposes (or else just with the wrong bacteria or something). There are a few brands with the right species, Tetra Safe Start is the most commonly known of those and people do have luck with it.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 11:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quick Cycle Shrimp Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
This is generally true, most brands are packaged with I think the terrestrial nitrifying bacteria which is obviously useless for aquatic purposes (or else just with the wrong bacteria or something). There are a few brands with the right species, Tetra Safe Start is the most commonly known of those and people do have luck with it.

What is your opinion on the seachem stability? Was using trying to fast cycle my 20 Gallon but only way I could instant cycle was using media from my other tank. That worked like a charm and when I checked levels next day ammonia and nitrite checked 0

Want to add I was not expecting the liquid to instant cycle but after a week and not seeing improvement to not one but two tanks that was newly setup just gave up on it. Did not try the tetra though.

geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
What is your opinion on the seachem stability? Was using trying to fast cycle my 20 Gallon but only way I could instant cycle was using media from my other tank. That worked like a charm and when I checked levels next day ammonia and nitrite checked 0

Want to add I was not expecting the liquid to instant cycle but after a week and not seeing improvement to not one but two tanks that was newly setup just gave up on it. Did not try the tetra though.

I think Seachem Stability is not one of the products containing the correct species IIRC. I tried using it a few years back and yeah it didn't do much, or anything really lol. I don't remember entirely but I think people told me it was a bad brand (after the fact, naturally ). Using media from another tank is guaranteed to have the right species of bacteria, but the downside is you could potentially cause a mini-cycle in the original tank, or if you just don't have a tank of your own to take media from it's inconvenient. I haven't used Tetra Safe Start myself, but I have seen a *lot* of people use it with good results. I'm a staunch follower of @Diana's guide to fishless cycling, and the brands she lists (last I saw anyways, not sure if she's updated the post) are Tetra Safe Start, Dr. Tim's One and Only, and Microbe Lift Nite-Out II.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-05-2017, 12:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quick Cycle Shrimp Tank

Happy 4th of July to everyone. May everyone have good times with their planted tanks and friends and loved ones.
And to the ones that lost their lives for our freedom.

Dman911, Dman911, H_C and 1 others like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode