Leaf Curl and Twisting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Leaf Curl and Twisting

My tank has been up for 4 months and have run into a problem with plants that have developed curling leaves. The bacopa has been curled the longest but some stems seem to be growing ok. The Ludwigia red is a new plant that lost color and curled as soon as it hit the water. The AR leaves almost look as if they are burned on the top and edges.
Tank has med. high light, co2 with 1pt drop by lights on, 7 hours of light, fert with Thrive 3x/week and weekly 50 percent water change. GH 10, KH 7
Any suggestions for why the leaves are deforming. Could it be a calcium magnesium issue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170627_180934.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	768065  

Name:	20170627_180950.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	768073  

Name:	20170627_181014.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	768081  

Name:	20170627_181154.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	768089  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Quote:
Could it be a calcium magnesium issue
Hi markf,

Most likely that is what you are seeing; here is a thread where the member had a very similar issues. I'm a little surprised since you live in FL I would have expected you to have plenty of Ca in the water. With my soft water here in Seattle if I get a little lazy and don't keep up with my water changes my plants will deplete the small amount of Ca and Mg my water does have and then I have deficiency issues.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 06-28-2017 at 06:02 PM. Reason: ..
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
I believe this is a ammonia form of issue. I don't see any other fert that would cause that kind've stunting.
Seen numerous times in new ada amazonia aqua soil i believe stunting associates with nh4, ammonia, ammonium, so on. Thrive has this..

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I see this also sometime's ,with newly set up dirted substrates that may have considerable organic content for first few week's/month.
But after four month's,,I would not expect this.
Would be easy to add a pinch of Epsom salt once a week and note any change in vein/leaf appearance.
I have fairly hard water 12DGH but is mostly calcium and so I add a little magnesium through the Epsom salt (Walmart).
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
I see this also sometime's ,with newly set up dirted substrates that may have considerable organic content for first few week's/month.
But after four month's,,I would not expect this.
Would be easy to add a pinch of Epsom salt once a week and note any change in vein/leaf appearance.
I have fairly hard water 12DGH but is mostly calcium and so I add a little magnesium through the Epsom salt (Walmart).
I agree, but he is also dosing thrive x 3 a week. His gh and kh are high i don't think the ratio matters as coming from his tap.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Cannot speak to what the nutrient content is in "Thrive" or dosing calls for.
No experience.
Will say that if it is magnesium that may be in short supply,will see near instant greening with it's addition.
Hobbyist GH test only tell's you what hardness is ,not if it is comprised of mostly calcium ,or magnesium.
Can buy separate test,or call water Co., but I might try adding a pinch as mentioned as process of elimination.
If It is not the issue,then you haven't really hurt nothin by tryin.IMHO
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-28-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Thanks for the advice, I think I will ad some epsom salt and see if it helps.
If it is ammonia could it be from the tap? I ad directly to the tank with Seachem Safe, the water is treat with chloramines most of the year.
Substrate is inert, black diamond

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode