3Likes
  • 2 Post By jeffkrol
  • 4 Post By aja31

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
False Positive Ammonia readings?

I've had my tank set up for 2 months now. The only thing in it are 40 amano shrimp and a lot of plants. Its 130 gallons with a 20 gallon sump. For the last 3 weeks it has read 0.5 ammonia. There is essentially no bio-load in the tank, and as a high tech fast growing tank with a large plant mass I expect it to be able to suck up a good deal of ammonia. I also added Tetra Safe Start to the tank a week ago to try and jump start the bacteria and get the ammonia down. I do 15% water changes every day and add no ammonia yet every day it reads 0.5.

The test kit is not bad, if I measure water from my storage tank or from my tap I get a reading of 0 and if I add 4 ppm to a 5 gallon bucket it reads 4 ppm as it should.

I can't think of any possible way there is actually 0.5 ppm of ammonia in my tank, so my question is, is there any way to get a false positive reading on an ammonia test? I dose standard EI, with CO2 and high light. I have osmocote root tabs scattered around the tank as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 03:54 AM

Are you sure you do not have any decaying plant matter or a missing shrimp?

It is strange that you are still testing positive for ammonia despite the lack of bioload.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:18 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Previous post's indicate the BG Algae was treated with ? recently.
Depending on what was used for treatment,how much,and for how long, or whether filter media was removed for treatment,or filter cleaned after treatment if media was not removed , Dead plant matter,organic matter, and dead bacteria,maybe ammonia eminating as result yet.
Would just keep changing water daily if needed, until biological filter is restored.
Would clean filter material in old tank water or dechlorinated water only if it has been some time since last cleaning.
Filter media should not be that dirty with only shrimp in the tank .
Osmocote is best used sparingly for it does contain some ammonium.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I cleaned the filter after the bga treatment and have vacuumed the substrate twice since then as well. I have found no dead shrimp in the past 5 days and have removed all visible decaying plant matter. I also have purigen in the filter.

With the daily water changes I just can't see ammonia being continually released to keep it at 0.5 ppm.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:23 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
What's the substrate?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Manuf. like API insist no............as do others.
If you use an API Ammonia test - test it! | Practical Aquaponics Discussion Forum. A place to discuss every aspect of Aquaponics.

At low pH <7 .25-.5 shouldn't be a problem..

All my tanks test .25ppm and are healthy and fine .pH ranges from 6.3 to 7
I always though tests were "fallable" but honestly can't find a reason for it.. I've tried..
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Have you tested the tap water yet?

I have a false positive maybe every 50 or so tests, this is a guess I don't test NH3 very often.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Some products containing Nessler reagents can give false positive ammonia readings. Kordon Amquel is one that comes to mind. Testing your tap water would be a good start in finding the culprit. If it reads zero, add healthy doses of the products you use (one product per water sample) until you find one that reads Ammonia. If none do, then it's something in the tank

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
any that turn green are not Nesslers based ..........

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 11:42 PM

Most ammonia testing kits these days shouldn't be Nessler based, since they contain mercury.

Instead, they are now salicylate based.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I never found the cause, but it appears it was real. It dropped to 0 after about 5 more days. I scoured the tank, didn't find any dead shrimp, and I vacuumed up all the dead plant matter I could find. The ammonia is 0 now so i'm guessing the bacteria finally caught up. Cleaned the sump again today, will monitor the ammonia the next few days and hopefully it stays 0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode