Using De-ionized Water to Lower pH - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation Using De-ionized Water to Lower pH

Hello,

I've been looking into keeping Apistogrammas however my local tap water has a high pH and is relatively hard. I understand Apistos prefer softer, acidic water so thought that I could achieve this by mixing my tap water and de-ionized water in a set ratio to reach a desired pH.

I take A level chemistry and calculated that in my 8.5 litre water change I would need 7 litres of tap water (pH 7.8) and 1.5 litres of de-ionized water (pH 6.4). I tried to do this today for my first water change however after testing the pH of the water I was about to put in the pH came out as 7.8 still.

I use test strips which I know can be inaccurate so thought that this may be the reason for the high pH. I have also read somewhere that hard, alkaline water contains buffers which resist changes in pH, is this true? If so, what method would you recommend to lower the pH and soften my water? I don't particularly want to invest in an RO unit, as I currently don't have the time or money to arrange that.

Thank you for any help!

- Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sheridan View Post
Hello,

I've been looking into keeping Apistogrammas however my local tap water has a high pH and is relatively hard. I understand Apistos prefer softer, acidic water so thought that I could achieve this by mixing my tap water and de-ionized water in a set ratio to reach a desired pH.

I take A level chemistry and calculated that in my 8.5 litre water change I would need 7 litres of tap water (pH 7.8) and 1.5 litres of de-ionized water (pH 6.4). I tried to do this today for my first water change however after testing the pH of the water I was about to put in the pH came out as 7.8 still.

I use test strips which I know can be inaccurate so thought that this may be the reason for the high pH. I have also read somewhere that hard, alkaline water contains buffers which resist changes in pH, is this true? If so, what method would you recommend to lower the pH and soften my water? I don't particularly want to invest in an RO unit, as I currently don't have the time or money to arrange that.

Thank you for any help!

- Sam
Buffering substrates such as ADA Amazonia will lower your KH/PH and will continue to do so until its buffering capacity is depleted.

Dan

Tags
apistogramma, de-ionized, soften water, water chemistry, water ph

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode