Osmacote plus and crazy parameters - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By AngeltheGypsy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Osmacote plus and crazy parameters

I'm building a 40 gallon planted tank, using bdbs as a substrate. Penn plax cascade 700 canister with coarse foam, filter floss and biomax. Temp 83. No fish, but have a couple pond snails.
I have a piece of manzanita, local rocks (vinegar test passed) and several plants, all doing well. I have used Thrive, gh booster, and liquid co2. After watching a video on YouTube I got the idea to sprinkle osmacote plus under the sand for a fertilizer base. I think I've messed this up.
It has been running for 2 weeks today. I have been trying to start a fishless cycle, but for the first week my ammonia level, without adding any ammonia, was doubling every day. (I do have .5 ammonia in my tap). By day 4 it was at 8 so I did a 95% WC. 2 days later it was back to 4, another 95% water change.
At that point it stopped rising, and when it dropped my nitrite test was grey. From what I've read, that means sky high nitrite (the day after a 95% water change. The ammonia zeroed out, nitrite remained grey. 4 days later I did another WC, nitrite turned blue.
I did not understand the high tests after such large water changes, and my nitrite test was 6 months from expiration. It also popped grey on a qt cycled to 2 ppm when I upped the dosed to 2.5, so I ordered a new test.
On 6/21, ammonia was zero, so I dosed 1 ppm ammonia in the evening. The next morning ammonia was at 4 ppm and nitrite was grey. That evening ammonia was 2, and 0 the next morning. At this point my new test came in, and nitrite was deep purple (still grey on old test). Using dilution tests I determined I had 200+ nitrite. Did another water change.
I tested my water before turning the filter back on, and I had .5 ammonia and 0 nitrite. At noon. By 11 pm ammonia was .25 and nitrite is grey! This morning the ammonia is still .25 and nitrite is pinkish purple. I'm thinking this may have come from the water still in my canister after the WC. (?)
I admit I did not test nitrite for the first week. It was 0 on day 1. I added seeded media on day 6. I have been keeping a detailed log, if you can read my scribbles.

At this point I'm thinking about breaking down the tank, clearing out all the osmacote and starting over. I am completely regretting getting any ideas from a YouTube video. Does anyone have any experience with using osmacote this way? Does this stuff ever stop leeching toxins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Took my tank almost 8 weeks with a dirt substrate and added ferts that contained ammonia based nitrate source. I was regretting it like you until the tests finally came in cycled.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval EDGE slightly modded, low tech
3+ gallon (40 x 16 x 20.5 cm) aquatic soil, low-tech
Fluval spec V (sitting in a box)
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:34 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I did the same exact thing. You probably overdid it with the osmocote. I did this and could not get my tank to stop leaching ammonia with the osmocote after 10 weeks so I pulled the substrate and redid with more bdbs. This time I just added a few root tabs where needed under the root feeders and all was good.

The osmocote will do this and more so with too much. A little goes a long way. At least your filter media will have the bb needed to keep the tank cycle.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm using the slow release granules form of Miracle grow plant fertilizer in my gravel, which the MG granules's active ingredient are supposedly composed of urea. Since my planted tanks and outdoor stock ponds run somewhat acid, the Ammonia is largely Ammonium and is instantly usable nitrogen. I'm also using very small amounts, on the order of one or two granules per plant grouping. The plant growth is pretty good with this technique.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you for your responses. I figured it was the osmacote, and I will start removing it.

mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode