Root Tabs not going in substrate!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Root Tabs not going in substrate!!!!

So I'm trying to put these osmocote root tabs in the substrate under my s. Repens and it ain't happening. I'm using tweezers. Is there a method anyone has been really successful with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I just use tweezers and push them all the way down. Make sure and squeeze the tab pretty good or it will not go in that well. What substrate are you putting them in? I have been able to very easily with regular gravel and bdbs. Should be easy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
I just use tweezers and push them all the way down. Make sure and squeeze the tab pretty good or it will not go in that well. What substrate are you putting them in? I have been able to very easily with regular gravel and bdbs. Should be easy.

I'm putting them in eco complete. They were easy to put in before the plants grew in. I think all the roots are blocking them.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaunicholas View Post
I'm putting them in eco complete. They were easy to put in before the plants grew in. I think all the roots are blocking them.

That makes sense. Maybe try pushing them in further away then work way under maybe? Have not had that issue.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
That makes sense. Maybe try pushing them in further away then work way under maybe? Have not had that issue.

So after about 30 minutes I got some in. I noticed one of the main problems is these things are way to buoyant. I'm buying some syringes off amazon and I'm going to inject them with water so they sink.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Can you get syringes with needles? I think the caps are going to get soft pretty quick if you put water in them, which will make them tougher to get in. Can't you just open up a hole in the substrate with your tweezers and then put the cap in?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The best thing to do is freeze them in some RO water ice cubes. Then put them in and will stay frozen long enough to get them under. Then you are good.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Grab a syringe that the capsules fit in.
Cut the end off the syringe so you have a tube with the same size holes at either end.
Pull back the plunger, load a capsule. Insert the syringe to the bottom of the substrate, inject the capsule. It won't float up.

Askhole :

Someone who asks for advice, then does the exact opposite.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 11:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just put some under my plants yesterday. I just use my fingers, that way I can feel how deeply it's going in. I have small hands, though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode