RO storage container sediment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
RO storage container sediment

I have 55 and 30 gal storage containers that I use for my RO water. Both are hooked up to float switches. After remineralizing, there is always a certain amount of sediment that settles to the bottom of containers. I'm assuming its whatever is in equilibrium that wont dissolve. Is this normal? If so, how do you clean it out of larger containers or is it ok the let it accumulate? Ive been dumping it after water changes but I have to disconnect the floats to do that and am worried that over time, all the taking on and off will mess up the ferrels or threads on the floats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 12:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does it affect hardness at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:13 AM
Algae Grower

Could you drill a hole on the side at the bottom. Then put a bulk head and valve there (or something similar) to use as a drain as you flush it out with a hose or buckets of water? I'm thinking of how water heaters have a drain at the bottom for flushing out sediment.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Do you use a powerhead or two to constantly mix the bins? This is what I do. I never have any sediment left in my two 15 gallon bins I use. I use nilocG gh booster in one and salty shrimp GH+ in other. They are both well mixed after about 4 hours or less and never anything left on bottom once emptied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 01:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Up until now I've only kept the base of an api hydro filter in the bottom of each with an airline attached to keep the water moving. Maybe a powerhead is a better option. I dont think the residual effects the hardness as anything that would dissolve has done so before I do the water changes. Hopefully its just the equilibrium from seachem. I just finished a tub of it so will be using something else next week. I picked up a pound of Tom Barr's gh booster to try and also bought a few pounds of CaSo4, Epson salts, and potassium something lol to try mixing my own. Still working on that haha
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 02:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy1 View Post
Up until now I've only kept the base of an api hydro filter in the bottom of each with an airline attached to keep the water moving. Maybe a powerhead is a better option. I dont think the residual effects the hardness as anything that would dissolve has done so before I do the water changes. Hopefully its just the equilibrium from seachem. I just finished a tub of it so will be using something else next week. I picked up a pound of Tom Barr's gh booster to try and also bought a few pounds of CaSo4, Epson salts, and potassium something lol to try mixing my own. Still working on that haha

What I like to do is place a powerhead on the bottom facing down so it's constantly hitting the very bottom so nothing has a chance to collect on the bottom. It really does mix well and within 4 hours it's all mixed verified with tds test. Also what this does is help age the water. This is especially important for my CRS tank so when it comes time to change water it's good to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode