Phosphate and nitrate levels - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Dman911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have been dosing EI consistently after having a BGA outbreak, that battle was won, but i still think I am dosing too much nitrate, but I am unsure if my phosphate level is ok. The nitrates within the tank do not seem to drop throughout the week, and only increase with me adding more thought the week. I have got abit of GSA on the glass, and read that this can be due to low phosphate levels, but if I increase my phosphate I would also be increasing my nitrate, as it is mixed within the same bottle, so I guess dry dosing is what would be required right?

Below are my plants and water parameters.

Plants:
Monte Carlo
Rotala sp green
Rotala rotundifolia
Pogostemon erectus
Alternanthera reineckii Mini
Vesicularia dubyana
Staurogyne repens

Water parameters (tests done after co2 was on for a few hours):

TDS 200/201
KH: 3
GH: 5
PH: 6.4
Phosphate: 1.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 30/40

Any help and understanding of these parameters would be helpful, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

Is you nitrate 30/40ppm or nitrite? Nitrate around 10-20ppm and phosphate 1-2. 10-1 nitrate to phosphate is a general recommendation.

Dan
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Is you nitrate 30/40ppm or nitrite? Nitrate around 10-20ppm and phosphate 1-2. 10-1 nitrate to phosphate is a general recommendation.

Dan
Sorry yes that was meant to be nitrate, I'll edit that now ok I will try to aim for that, is dry dosing typically done over liquid? Because within the mixture for my macro it raises my nitrate, but not my phosphate as much.

I also don't think my plants are absorbing the nitrate much weirdly.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja_green View Post
Sorry yes that was meant to be nitrate, I'll edit that now ok I will try to aim for that, is dry dosing typically done over liquid? Because within the mixture for my macro it raises my nitrate, but not my phosphate as much.

Its a personal choice. If you are mixing your own ferts you can adjust future batches or choose to dry dose as needed. There is no real right or wrong, EI is generally for heavily planted tanks and people like myself will scale dosing based on our tanks consumption. I dose at about 1/6th EI and do 50% WC every 2 weeks but no 2 tanks are the same. Are you reaching 40ppm right before a water change or right after a water change? Try doing 1/2 or 1/3 EI for a couple weeks and see how your parameters are and what your plants have to say about it and if you need to add less nitrate and you end up with low phosphate there is nothing wrong with adding as a dry dose. 10-20ppm nitrates with 1-2ppm phosphate is a good target point IMO. The goal is to make nutrients non limiting once you have more than they need, adding more is unnecessary and the rest is about balance. Take your tests right after the water change and take them again right before your next water change and this will allow you to see what being consumed and what is building up. Once you get the balance right mixing your ferts is pretty easy. Remember as plant mass/growth changes so will your ferts requirements.

Added: What's your lighting like and photoperiod?

Dan

Last edited by Dman911; 06-23-2017 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Quote:

Its a personal choice. If you are mixing your own ferts you can adjust future batches or choose to dry dose as needed. There is no real right or wrong, EI is generally for heavily planted tanks and people like myself will scale dosing based on our tanks consumption. I dose at about 1/6th EI and do 50% WC every 2 weeks but no 2 tanks are the same. Are you reaching 40ppm right before a water change or right after a water change? Try doing 1/2 or 1/3 EI for a couple weeks and see how your parameters are and what your plants have to say about it and if you need to add less nitrate and you end up with low phosphate there is nothing wrong with adding as a dry dose. 10-20ppm nitrates with 1-2ppm phosphate is a good target point IMO. The goal is to make nutrients non limiting once you have more than they need, adding more is unnecessary and the rest is about balance. Take your tests right after the water change and take them again right before your next water change and this will allow you to see what being consumed and what is building up. Once you get the balance right mixing your ferts is pretty easy. Remember as plant mass/growth changes so will your ferts requirements.

Added: What's you lighting like and photoperiod?

Dan
I prefer liquid, so I will alter the mixture next time around. I am planning for a heavily planted tank, but I am not there yet, so like you said adapting the dosage for the EI is what I should do. Currently I dose around 2ml for my mixture when it recommends 10ml, but if I was to dose the 10ml throughout the week, I would have problems.

I currently do 50% WC weekly, sometimes like to do more if I have the time. I actually done mine today, I have added the parameters after the WC below. I done about a 75% WC as I wanted to remove as much nitrate as possible to try and start again with my EI regime.

The 40ppm of nitrate was right before the WC. I will try to aim for the 10-20 nitrate, and 1-2 phosphate, but I will have to mix up a new macro bottle, and this time and add some more phosphate so I have a roughly a 10:1 ratio.

After WC:

TDS: 195
GH: 4
PH: 6.6
Phosphate: 1
Nitrate: 5

My light is the Finnex 24/7 on max, which is on for 6 hours.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 04:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
I prefer liquid, so I will alter the mixture next time around. I am planning for a heavily planted tank, but I am not there yet, so like you said adapting the dosage for the EI is what I should do. Currently I dose around 2ml for my mixture when it recommends 10ml, but if I was to dose the 10ml throughout the week, I would have problems.

I currently do 50% WC weekly, sometimes like to do more if I have the time. I actually done mine today, I have added the parameters after the WC below. I done about a 75% WC as I wanted to remove as much nitrate as possible to try and start again with my EI regime.

The 40ppm of nitrate was right before the WC. I will try to aim for the 10-20 nitrate, and 1-2 phosphate, but I will have to mix up a new macro bottle, and this time and add some more phosphate so I have a roughly a 10:1 ratio.

After WC:

TDS: 195
GH: 4
PH: 6.6
Phosphate: 1
Nitrate: 5

My light is the Finnex 24/7 on max, which is on for 6 hours.
I would keep nitrates above 10, 10-20 is ideal but 10-30 is also acceptable depending on what you are stocking or plan to stock. How much Co2 are you injecting? and what are the times for on/off in relation to lighting? What size tank?

Dan
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would keep nitrates above 10, 10-20 is ideal but 10-30 is also acceptable depending on what you are stocking or plan to stock. How much Co2 are you injecting? and what are the times for on/off in relation to lighting? What size tank?

Dan
Yeah I will do, I will aim for the 10-20 as you suggested above, i think that will be fine. Co2 is on for 7 hours, 1 hour before the lights come on, and turns off one hours before. I cannot see the bps, but when the co2 goes off the drop checker is lime green.

The tank is a 90l 2ft long.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2017, 07:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yeah I will do, I will aim for the 10-20 as you suggested above, i think that will be fine. Co2 is on for 7 hours, 1 hour before the lights come on, and turns off one hours before. I cannot see the bps, but when the co2 goes off the drop checker is lime green.

The tank is a 90l 2ft long.
Sounds good.

Dan
mbkemp and mbkemp like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode