Should I dose Flourish Comp. daily vs. weekly? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Esteban Colberto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Should I dose Flourish Comp. daily vs. weekly?

I feel like I haven't seen any results with my plants dosing Flourish Comprehensive 2x's per week at 5ml each time in a 55g. I have been doing this for a few weeks now with no noticeable changes. Today I decided to start dosing 2ml per day and see what that does for my plants in the next couple of weeks. Has anyone else done this? What were your results? It seems to me they would benefit from smaller daily doses vs. weekly overdoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Most will dose micros every other day.
Macros on the off days, WC on the seventh day.

Are you dosing any macro ferts? They are the larger consumed by far.

What are your NO3 & PO4 water column levels?

Flourish Comp is not a one stop shop by any means.

What are you trying to grow???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

2 amazon swords, 1 rosette sword, 1 Java Fern and a Wisteria. I have added some hornwort recently. Very new to a planted tank, as of right now I am only dosing Flourish Comp. with Flourish root tabs. One of my Amazon Swords is growing like a weed, the others, not so much.

NO3 is 10ppm, I just ordered PO4 kit the other day. Should be here Monday so I will test my levels then. I haven't ordered or used any other fertilizers as I am still learning about what needs to be added and when....

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So my PO4 right out of the tap reads 0. ppm My aquarium water reads .5ppm I do weekly water changes every Sunday. I just purchased some Seachem Potassium as well as Seachem Nitrogen as I started to see some yellow leaves and pinholes in a couple of my swords, I didn't bother with a phosphate supplements as my fish food must be high in it already, judging by my test results. Or maybe the Comprehensive is adding more than I need?

Anyhow, I dosed Potassium on Monday, today I dosed Nitrogen and tomorrow I will dose Comprehensive. I also dose Excel daily. I haven't purchased any Trace as it seems (please correct me if I am wrong) that Comprehensive and Trace have the same ingredients. I don't believe I need additional iron as with the root tabs and comprehensive, it seems as though that is enough.

Orignally I had asked the question above because I had read somewhere that it was better to dose smaller amounts daily vs. larger amounts once or twice a week. Since I am dosing something everyday anyway, it wouldn't be a hassel to do if it is ineed better to do so. Thoughts?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017, 08:03 PM
Planted Member

I recently switched over from the Seachem individual bottles to nilocG Thrive which is an all-in-one. The plant growth in my 30 gallon tank is really exploding so let me list the few changes I made as I'm not sure which change helped and it's probably a combination of them all.

1. I dose nilocG GH Booster when I change water. 1/2 tsp for my 30 gallon tank.
2. I dose nilocG Thrive, 2 pumps the day after a water change. Instructions say twice a week (for my light level) but that was too much and I got a film on my water.
3. I dose Seachem Excel every day using half a cap for my 30 gallon tank
4. Changed my light timing to 5 hours on, 4 hours off, 5 hours on

I'm running 2 Aquaray GroBEAM 600 Ultima LED lights which provides light that's on the line between low and medium imo. I don't have a PAR meter so I can't check it myself.

My results are increased plant growth and lower levels of brown algae. In fact my growth is so good I have to cut my anacharis twice a week and my wisteria once a week. Good luck!
sandybeach and sandybeach like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode