Water Test Results - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By nick_wi

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water Test Results

Just got my API Master Test kit from Amazon. Unfortunately, API somehow mispackaged the kit and I got two bottle of the #2 Nitrates!! Also listing my phosphate results as I've finally seemed to win that battle...for now.

Here's my results until Amazon sends out a replacement kit:

Last water change was yesterday? (maybe the day before) evening- i.e. recently.

pH "high range" 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate ???

Seachem Phosguard Results:
Phosphates .1

- - - - - - - - - - -

Not really worried about Nitrates at the moment since it's a cycled tank and everything seems pretty healthy. My pH seems way high, though. So high, I had to use the high range test kit. I've known it's been high pH for since I started the tank a few months ago, but this just confirmed it. I was using Tetra test trips before and it seems high but OK generally (like 7.8).

What can I do to bring down the pH a bit? My tap water pH results came out roughly the same, so it's not any of the rock, etc in there. I'd like to avoid using any chemical additions. Excel is enough for me.

I'm also cutting back on the Seachem Flourish liquid ferts for a bit. I keep getting hair algae bloom after every use pretty quickly; usually within the day or two of dosing ferts. Likely dosing too high too often (1x/week 4ml/each). Perhaps go to 2x/week 2ml?

So my current issues are hair algae and high pH. Plants are doing OK, not thriving CO2 status, but good enough for me.

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Water Test Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayak83 View Post
Just got my API Master Test kit from Amazon. Unfortunately, API somehow mispackaged the kit and I got two bottle of the #2 Nitrates!! Also listing my phosphate results as I've finally seemed to win that battle...for now.

Here's my results until Amazon sends out a replacement kit:

Last water change was yesterday? (maybe the day before) evening- i.e. recently.

pH "high range" 8.2

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate ???

Seachem Phosguard Results:

Phosphates .1

- - - - - - - - - - -

Not really worried about Nitrates at the moment since it's a cycled tank and everything seems pretty healthy. My pH seems way high, though. So high, I had to use the high range test kit. I've known it's been high pH for since I started the tank a few months ago, but this just confirmed it. I was using Tetra test trips before and it seems high but OK generally (like 7.8).

What can I do to bring down the pH a bit? My tap water pH results came out roughly the same, so it's not any of the rock, etc in there. I'd like to avoid using any chemical additions. Excel is enough for me.

I'm also cutting back on the Seachem Flourish liquid ferts for a bit. I keep getting hair algae bloom after every use pretty quickly; usually within the day or two of dosing ferts. Likely dosing too high too often (1x/week 4ml/each). Perhaps go to 2x/week 2ml?

So my current issues are hair algae and high pH. Plants are doing OK, not thriving CO2 status, but good enough for me.

Unless you have very specific fish or plan on getting some very specific fish to ph your ph is fine. Do not worry about it. You would cause more problems trying to alter it. Are you sure your phosphates are that low of .1 or did you mean 1? For your plants you typically want from .5 to 2 or so. Phosphates like nitrates are a nutrient required for plants and .1 is too low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 PM
Algae Grower

Driftwood will bring ph down

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:59 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Dont worry about the PH

Why were you in a "battle" with phosphates? It's an essential macro nutrient, 1-3 ppm is a good level for plants, even higher for some folks.

You certainly dont want to be zeroing the levels out (might be why the hair algae) I'd ditch the phosguard.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I had an ongoing problem with brown diatoms which the Phosguard totally demolished. Phosguard has been out for a few days now so I would expect it to begin to rise. Hopefully that will help some plants as well, but not bring back the diatoms. It's a prime example like you said of cause and effect when we try and control one thing but something else happens.

Sounds like pH isn't really a big deal. My angelfish seems to be doing well and I believe it "prefers" lower pH vs the guppies and neons.

Only wood in there at the moment is a piece of spider wood that's finally nearly saturated after 2-3 weeks of soaking!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Unless you have very specific fish or plan on getting some very specific fish to ph your ph is fine. Do not worry about it. You would cause more problems trying to alter it. Are you sure your phosphates are that low of .1 or did you mean 1? For your plants you typically want from .5 to 2 or so. Phosphates like nitrates are a nutrient required for plants and .1 is too low.
Just checked my results again. Definitely was .1, not 1. I'm sure it'll climb back now. Hopefully without the diatoms this time around.

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update:

I was at the fish store where I purchased some new rock recently and they had a sign on one of the bins that looked a bit like my rock I had previously picked. Apparently it's cloud stone and raises pH. When I bought it, this sign was on a different bin so i thought I was OK. I'm suspicious now that the rock has caused my pH to be so high. It's a very good looking rock too...

Should I remove it? I tested my tap water pH and it was notably lower. In the high 7's.

I've attached a slightly older tank picture that has the stone in it, hoping somebody might be able to confirm the stone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170520_205704.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	765137  

- - - - - -
29g Freshwater
30" Finnex Planted+ 24/7
Fluval 206 Canister
Paintball CO2

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode