Do these parameter values seem reasonable? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By aubie98
  • 2 Post By aubie98

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Do these parameter values seem reasonable?

Just got a TDS meter and tested it out with a different water samples, along with GH, KH, and pH (also from a new meter).

Note, I tested the TDS with the meter yesterday before doing a ~40% water change with 1/2 RO-1/2 Tap and it was right at 200 ppm.

Was worried about tap water being too hard and/or alkaline, but it's looking like its right on the money honestly.

Edit: guess I was asking whether the TDS reading for the RO water was reasonable. Seems way off the charts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2017-06-10 at 9.36.33 AM.png
Views:	12
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	763809  

Last edited by aubie98; 06-10-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clarification
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
Just got a TDS meter and tested it out with a different water samples, along with GH, KH, and pH (also from a new meter).

Note, I tested the TDS with the meter yesterday before doing a ~40% water change with 1/2 RO-1/2 Tap and it was right at 200 ppm.

Was worried about tap water being too hard and/or alkaline, but it's looking like its right on the money honestly.

Edit: guess I was asking whether the TDS reading for the RO water was reasonable. Seems way off the charts.

That's way too high for RO water. With that gh and kh it should be less than 100. With my tap water that is a gh of 3 and kh of 3 is 51. So that should tell you how high that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
That's way too high for RO water. With that gh and kh it should be less than 100. With my tap water that is a gh of 3 and kh of 3 is 51. So that should tell you how high that is.

I should've been more specific, its remineralized RO water. But even then, the TDS reading along with the GH and KH values don't make sense to me.

Regardless though, I'm happy to see that my tap should be sufficient for keeping my parameters pretty close to what I want.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 03:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie98 View Post
I should've been more specific, its remineralized RO water. But even then, the TDS reading along with the GH and KH values don't make sense to me.

Regardless though, I'm happy to see that my tap should be sufficient for keeping my parameters pretty close to what I want.

I figured that with there being gh and kh but even then that's off the charts and should be close to my water that is gh and kh of 3 with a tds of 51. Really does not make sense why it's that high.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
I figured that with there being gh and kh but even then that's off the charts and should be close to my water that is gh and kh of 3 with a tds of 51. Really does not make sense why it's that high.

The last batch of RO water I got from my LFS (2 separate 5 gallon carboys) includes this funky TDS batch, and a batch that has a pH of 8.2 (even though the store says they remineralize and buffer to ~7.4). So, I figured that they accidentally gave me a batch of RO water meant for cichlids but maybe they just totally botched everything!

Tap water it is from here on out.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode