How do you know if a dry fert is safe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How do you know if a dry fert is safe?

I live in an agricultural area and 5 min away from me there is a company that sells fertilizers. They are targeted towards farmers... not aquariums. I was looking around and saw they sold a 20 kg bag of a micro nutrient mix that costs less than a 250 ml bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, LOL.
It doesnt come in powder but in balls, like the Osmocote stuff. I was planning on doing the good old clay root tabs to supply them but before buying a 20 kg bag of ferts I was wondering if there was any way to know if this dry fert would kill my fish? They gifted me an empty bag (I wanted to see the components) which has a little bit of fert inside, I guess I could buy feeder fish throw them in a tub at the yard and add the balls to see if they die or not but I would prefer not to, specially because if they live I dont have where to put them.

Sooo. Any thoughts on this? I would think that the ferts would be fine, technically they are just micronutrients and nothing else, but I am not really sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

What I suggest you do is to look into buying your dry ferts from an online supplier. Here is one possible source - Planted Aquarium Fertilizer - Home You can also buy Osmocote plus on Amazon. This is used a lot to make DIY root tab and in the substrate for new tanks.

A 25 kg bag of ferts would be more than a lifetime supply for aquarium use. Dry ferts go very far, since you don't need much.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Chances are they use an ammoniacal source for at least part of the nitrogen. A very, very little bit of ammonia, especially in the form of ammonium can be okay in a planted aquarium since it is the preferred form of N for plants. ADA, Tropica, Seachem all use an ammoniacal source in their N supplements. Being what you're looking at is for agricultural purposes I would imagine it has a lot of ammonia, relatively speaking anyway, along with who knows what else. Of course, if you can find everything that's in it and how much then you can decide if it's safe for your use. I think it's easier and not that costly in the long run to use those products that are a known - ADA, Seachem, Tropica or dry salts such as KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4, etc.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Algae Grower

You could just go with the pro pack from GLA. Its dry ferts that you mix yourself and is many many times cheaper than liquid. One bottle that will last my 40G for months took maybe a teaspoon of each fert and you get pretty much a 1lb bag of each. In short, I will probably have this for 10 years before I need to buy more.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizer.html
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-13-2017, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegumeWeirdo View Post
I live in an agricultural area and 5 min away from me there is a company that sells fertilizers. They are targeted towards farmers... not aquariums. I was looking around and saw they sold a 20 kg bag of a micro nutrient mix that costs less than a 250 ml bottle of Seachem Flourish Comprehensive, LOL.
It doesnt come in powder but in balls, like the Osmocote stuff. I was planning on doing the good old clay root tabs to supply them but before buying a 20 kg bag of ferts I was wondering if there was any way to know if this dry fert would kill my fish? They gifted me an empty bag (I wanted to see the components) which has a little bit of fert inside, I guess I could buy feeder fish throw them in a tub at the yard and add the balls to see if they die or not but I would prefer not to, specially because if they live I dont have where to put them.

Sooo. Any thoughts on this? I would think that the ferts would be fine, technically they are just micronutrients and nothing else, but I am not really sure.
Do you have any more info on this? What is the product called? Can you look up the composition?

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dangit, forgot about this. Thanks for the responses guys. This is an strict Micromix product. No macros so no Ammonia at all. It also says "innorganic fert" so I dont think it will have manure at all.
I live in Mexico so altough the greenleaf stuff looks cool I will probably have to pay 10 times the product in just shipping... I found Osmocote Plus on my area tho so I may try that first. It isnt as cheap tho.

This 20 kg bag costs 200 Mexican Pesos. A little bit more than 10 bucks. To give you a better idea, it would have costed a bit less than 20 bucks before the peso fell to the floor. It is dirt cheap however you see it lol. Here is what the bag says:
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Osmocote Plus on the other hand is sold for 35 pesos (1.5 bucks) per 250 gr. It is my understanding that normal Osmocote has no micros appart from Iron and that Osmocote Plus have other micros too. I dont know how long 250gr would last me but I guess it would be a long time. What do you guys think? Is Osmocote Plus good enough in the micronutrient deparment?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode