h20 out of balance or seasonal change? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
h20 out of balance or seasonal change?

I've been struggling to lower my phosphate levels and they are finally coming down. My tank looks pretty good--plants look pretty good and algae is finally gone, but I'm convinced my tank is a little "off." Even though the plants look ok, they don't look lush, and they seem to have stopped growing.

28 gallon tank
2 X 65 watts power compact lighting
ph 7.2 (note: it's been running 6.6 but I messed up and put too much RO right in at the last water change, I also used 1 bucket of tap water every 3rd change and it got tap during the last change)
DIY C02 (hagen kit--bubble production has slowed since the weather has cooled and the temp has dropped)
tank temp 79 (runs 82 during the summer)
nitrate between 5 and 10 (I know this is a tad low--never thought I'd see the day when I added nitrate)
phosphate down to 1.0 (I know this is still a little high, but it's much better than it was)
GH 3
KH 5
I add between 1/8 and 1/16 tsp of the stuff Greg Watson sells once per week.

My question: Is it normal for growth to slow at this time of year, or am I not dosing enough of something?

thanks,
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:31 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm pretty sure that your CO2 level is too low. Don't use the hagen canister and use the Coke bottle. You still can use the hagen ladder if you want although power or external reactor are better for a tank that size.

What gregwatson stuff? Plantex?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (11/100%)
Yeah, I kinda figured my CO2 was too low.

I'm using all the Watson stuff, 1/8 to 1/16 tsp of each (except I don't add phophate to this tank). The tap water here is well water and we have lots of run off from dairys and farming. It's got a ton of sulphur ( and other stuff--including arsenic)and the ph is off the chart even using a high range test kit. I use it with the idea of adding any stuff that might be missing from the RO water that I'm not adding back in. Under 2 gallons dumped in my 28 raised the ph from 6.6 to 7.4. Should I quit doing that and only use the RO with stuff (Watson, RO right, and baking soda for KH) added to it?

Thanks,
Cheryl

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 06:48 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow, is the well water really that bad? I've heard people complaining about their water especially those around farms. Some says the PO4 is very high and also the parameters are not consistent. I really have no idea and don't want to give you the wrong advice. I have hard tap water here but at least it has 0 PO4 and the parameters are very consistent all year long. So I just mix it with RO water to bring down the hardness for my discus tank.

But I would imagine it's gonna be a pain to use 100% RO water. Not to mention the additives you need to recharge the water.

Hope someones who has experience with your type of water could jump in and help

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode