Are the Nilocg dosing instructions correct? - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By Roarke
  • 2 Post By nilocg
  • 2 Post By clownplanted
  • 4 Post By nilocg
  • 2 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By nilocg
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 49
Are the Nilocg dosing instructions correct?

I'm using the solution method, 5ml per 20 gallons. Here's the instructions:

(into 500ml water)

KNO3
93 gm approximately 17 3/4 teaspoons
KH2PO4
14 gm approximately 2 1/2 teaspoons
Plantex
CSM+B
58 gm approximately 13 1/2 teaspoons
Optional:
K2SO4r
38 gm approximately 6 teaspoons

is it really supposed to be 93 grams of KNO3? I combined the macros into a 500ml bottle, and I can't get the KNO3 to dissolve. I can shake it up ever time for now, but my end goal is to automatically dose this solution, which won't be possible if the solution settles.
Roarke is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarke View Post
I'm using the solution method, 5ml per 20 gallons. Here's the instructions:

(into 500ml water)

KNO3
93 gm approximately 17 3/4 teaspoons
KH2PO4
14 gm approximately 2 1/2 teaspoons
Plantex
CSM+B
58 gm approximately 13 1/2 teaspoons
Optional:
K2SO4r
38 gm approximately 6 teaspoons

is it really supposed to be 93 grams of KNO3? I combined the macros into a 500ml bottle, and I can't get the KNO3 to dissolve. I can shake it up ever time for now, but my end goal is to automatically dose this solution, which won't be possible if the solution settles.
I ran into the same issue following the info on his page and I mixed it with 1 liter and dosed 2x as much so in your case 10ml. I stored the extra in empty distilled water 500ml bottles in the fridge. I'm in a bit of a rush so I cannot verify the amounts. For some reason it did not take into account the saturation limit of 500ml of water

Dan
Dman911 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Southern California
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
I ran into the same issue following the info on his page and I mixed it with 1 liter and dosed 2x as much so in your case 10ml. I stored the extra in empty distilled water 500ml bottles in the fridge. I'm in a bit of a rush so I cannot verify the amounts. For some reason it did not take into account the saturation limit of 500ml of water

Dan
So just dilute it by half and it should all dissolve? I'll give it a try tonight.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
Roarke is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 05:05 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roarke View Post
So just dilute it by half and it should all dissolve? I'll give it a try tonight.
Don't split it then mix with water, make sure you mix it all together with 1 liter then spit it otherwise you will end up with uneven dosage amounts.

Dan
Dman911 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru
 
clownplanted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Its the amount listed for when you are mixing your own dry ferts. The water saturates and will not accommodate all the required additions. The packets are premixed specifically to account for this. I think @Zorfox or someone else brought this up before but I cannot remember who exactly, so it may not have been.

Dan
I see, did not know that and makes sense. Thank you


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clownplanted is online now  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (538/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,009
93g of KNO3 is quite easy for me to dissolve into 500ml of RO water. Its the k2so4 that isnt quite as easy.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
nilocg is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:06 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
@nilocg can you get the amounts listed to dissolve in 500ml? I couldn't and I think there was another post a month or 2 ago that zorofox answered with the same issue. Is there something we are doing wrong?

Dan

Just wanted to add that i did use R/O water also.

Dan

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-07-2017 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
Dman911 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
clownplanted's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 2,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911;10263321 [MENTION=37819
nilocg can you get the amounts listed to dissolve in 500ml? I couldn't and I think there was another post a month or 2 ago that zorofox answered with the same issue. Is there something we are doing wrong?

Dan

Just wanted to add that i did use R/O water also.

Dan
I used @Zorfox calculator and came up with the solution you need for it to dissolve. You need to make it to where 20ml will give you 4.27ppm k2s04, I assume this is the level you want? If not let me know exact gallon aquarium size and ppm desired? I assume you are trying to dissolve k2so4 in a 500ml bottle? I used a 55 gallon aquarium size. If you try to make it dissolve at 15ml is where it will not dissolve all the way. It seems, at least what his calculator shows that it will at 20ml dosing.




I needed to do this anyway as I will be getting the k2so4 and a dosing bottle so I can liquid dose the k2so4 separately. Especially on the days where its macro day and nitrates and phosphates are already high enough so no need to dose full macros. Hopefully @nilocg comes back and confirms this or says it wont work.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
clownplanted is online now  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (538/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,009
If you are targeting a full ei dose(7.5ppm) of potassium here, you would need 2.25ppm potassium from k2so4(you get 5.25 from kno3 and kh2po4). The formula on my page is correct for this(38g k2so4 at the 5ml per 20g dose).

k2so4 is fairly hard to dissolve, but should be doable. If you have having issues, cut all the amounts in half and then dose 10ml per 20g.
nilocg is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 05:08 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,495
Yeah that's what I did... I did use R/O but I did not verify it was pure R/O personally. I will test the tds next time to make sure since I'm buying it from a lfs for my saltwater tank. Maybe I will stick to the 1 gallon medical distilled water in the pharmacies for the future. It's really not a big deal to mix in 1 liter and dose double for me. I just remember a thread a month or so ago about the dissolution. I could care less how much I need to dissolve it into as long as I know how much I'm dosing.

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
Dman911 is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru
 
PTrader: (538/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Yeah that's what I did... I did use R/O but I did not verify it was pure R/O personally. I will test the tds next time to make sure since I'm buying it from a lfs for my saltwater tank. Maybe I will stick to the 1 gallon medical distilled water in the pharmacies for the future. It's really not a big deal to mix in 1 liter and dose double for me. I just remember a thread a month or so ago about the dissolution. I could care less how much I need to dissolve it into as long as I know how much I'm dosing.

Dan
As long as its a relatively low tds its not going to matter.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
nilocg is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome