• 2 Post By Dempsey
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frequent Water Changes and EI Dosing

I have a question:

I'm presently EI dosing my tank, but had a slight nitrite spike so I've been conducting 50% water changes every other day this week. How does that affect my dosing schedule? Should I stop dosing during the frequent water changes, or when I change the water, do I continue my EI routine? To date, I have not been dosing and am wondering if that's the root of my recent hair algae problems.

Eheim 175 L (46 gal) tall tank
Eheim pro 4+ 250 filter
2 - T5 24w 6500k Philips daylight
CO2 and EI dosing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 11:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypoxic View Post
I have a question:

I'm presently EI dosing my tank, but had a slight nitrite spike so I've been conducting 50% water changes every other day this week. How does that affect my dosing schedule? Should I stop dosing during the frequent water changes, or when I change the water, do I continue my EI routine? To date, I have not been dosing and am wondering if that's the root of my recent hair algae problems.
Take a look at Burr740's responce to my question here in his journal. Good info.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Basically to keep things equal to what you are doing in terms of water changes the same needs to be done to dosing to continue true EI. EI is based on 50% water changes a week so if you are doing 2 then you essentially should be dosing double to enure with a heavily planted tank you have non limiting nutrients. With that said EI is a good place to start not a rule and its more common that people adjust there doses to their needs. So use your water parameters to your advantage. I cut me EI doing to 1/6th and change water every 2 weeks. It takes time and testing and looking at nutrient uptake etc. so if you don't want to bother with that you should probably change your dosing to meet your new water change schedule.

Dan

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I try to work things in a priority of what is likely to hurt me the most and quickest. When I think of nitrite, I want none with my fish so if I need to do water changes, I do it, even if it may result in less than stellar plant growth. Pollutants and water for the fish first, for me, while others may favor the plants first. Second for me is feeding the plants. Then I recognize that the EI is an estimate and try to spot where my setup is different than the one where the estimate is aimed to work best. I have far less plant mass than many, so I find I can cut down on some of the macro nutrient and still have too much nitrate and phosphate.
In your case, without knowing if fish or plants are the priority, I would go with changing the water needed to get that solved while at the same time knowing that I am removing more than the normal amount of ferts. Adding more because I took out more takes some personal choices. Save a slight amount of money by not adding back or run some small risk of getting too low and the plants not growing as well? Both are somewhere between an estimate and a guess and neither is likely to be a major disaster compared to all the other problems we have.
I normally error on the side of adding more than needed just because I use dry ferts and they are really too cheap to try to cut too many corners. Overfeeding plants is less likely to happen to me.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode