First batch of 100% RO/DI - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Stacy1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
First batch of 100% RO/DI

I have made the decision to switch to all RO/DI water because of undesirable results from my well. I have researched using ro water and feel myself and my fish will be alot happier once I get it figured out. My ro unit is running now filling up my 55gal water barrel and I will start transitioning my tanks over tomorrow. I purchased seachem products; equilibrium, alkaline buffer and acid buffer. The two buffers arrived today and when reading the instructions, it states that these products are for use in planted aquariums where phosphate buffers cant be used. I have many tanks. 5 of which are planted. All of my other tanks have plants in them but its stuff like java ferns, anubias and the like. I currently keep show guppies, some orange laser cories, dwarf puffers, and pygmy sunfish. My question is, can I use these three products to obtain good water for all my tanks, or should I just use these for the planted tanks and get other products like neutral regulator for my fish tanks? I'm not trying for any kind of super soft water or anything. My target is somewhere in the neighborhood of 7.0-7.5ph, gh6-8, and kh4-6. I figure those numbers should make all my inhabitants and my plants happy. If I'm wrong, PLEASE, someone let me know. My water now is HARD. Ive been doing a 50/50 mix of ro water and well water for a month or so. I do weekly water changes on all tanks. With the mix my parameters have changed from originally being ph 8.4-8.6, gh15+, kh 13+ to a ph of 8.0, gh8, kh7. I plan on only doing 25% water changes with the new ro water to make the transition slow and easy. Im hoping all goes well but if I need to be using something different for the fish tanks id rather know now versus having to change everything again after I've stressed my fish out. Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations
Beriss and Beriss like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I didnt get any responses telling me one way or the other if the equilibrium/alkaline-acid buffer combo would work for planted and non planted tanks, so I took a gamble and changed them all with the same water. My end result on the 55gal barrel was a ph of 7.6,gh6, kh4. I got this from 3tablespoons of equilibrium and 1 tablespoon of the alkaline buffer. TDS ended up at 220. For what I have now those numbers should be ok, but I can see where the price of reconstitution could get expensive. Now to dig through threads in search of bulk, cheaper options than the seachem line. With 20+ tanks these bottles ofpowder iI've purchased arent going to last long
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 12:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy1 View Post
For what I have now those numbers should be ok, but I can see where the price of reconstitution could get expensive. Now to dig through threads in search of bulk, cheaper options than the seachem line. With 20+ tanks these bottles ofpowder iI've purchased arent going to last long
Stacy you can purchase dry ferts that are relatively inexpensive. Buy them once and they will last a long time.

You can use CaS04 (Calcium Sulfate), MgS04 (Magnesium Sulfate), and K2C03 (Potassium Carbonate). The first two are available from board sponsors here who sell dry ferts (like GLA). I picked up the K2C03 here https://www.amazon.com/Potassium-Car.../dp/B009GAHL8Y.

With these three you can adjust your GH/KH any way you like. Use a calculator like Zorfox or Rotala Butterfly for dosing amounts. Be sure to test your levels after dosing to be sure the amounts are correct. I hope that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-06-2017, 01:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Seems cheaper route might be to try 60 % R/O and 40% tap water or well water and see where this land's you ?
Maybe 70 % R/O and 30 % Tap or well water?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks Greggz. I'll steer my research towards the ferts you've listed. @roadmaster, thanks for the reply, and you are correct. That would be my cheapest option and was the route I originally took when I first bought my ro unit. Unfortunately though, I have well water, and something has changed in the water over the past couple of years. Ive mentioned it here before. I dont know what's wrong with the water, but something is, so for me going strictly ro is cheaper than going down the rabbit hole of trying to find out exactly whats in the well water. Especially adding in the peace of mind of knowing exactly what I'm giving my fish to live in. There is more of a learning curve to making water than I originally thought, but I'm reading through threads daily, and thanks to all the info given from people on this and other forums, I knowiI'll get it figured out eventually. Thanks for the help

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode