Ammonia question - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ammonia question

I have .25 ppm of ammonia straight out of my tap. Is that going to harm my fish? I know any ammonia is bad but will the fish be ok with .25? How can i get it down to 0 ppm in the tank?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherdiehl View Post
I have .25 ppm of ammonia straight out of my tap. Is that going to harm my fish? I know any ammonia is bad but will the fish be ok with .25? How can i get it down to 0 ppm in the tank?

Treat with prime or another water conditioner. This will convert the ammonia to ammonium for approx. 24-48 hrs. which is less toxic and give your BB (beneficial bacteria) a chance to break it down into nitrates. What is your PH and water temp? as these can also play a role in the ammonia/ammonium conversion. 0.25ppm is not "likely" to be of concern and adding prime with water changes will convert to ammonium as I said and will allow enough time for BB to break it down into nitrates. Faster growing stem plants are often used to aid in removing excess nitrogen (ammonia/ammonium, nitrite, nitrate) for situations like yours. A few other questions will also help in determining a solution.

How long has your tank been setup?
What plants and livestock do you have?
Do you use Co2 and ferts?
Is your tank cycled?
What are your parameters?

Dan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you have a cycled tank, the . 25 shouldn't be an issue. I get that here at certain times of the year. It has never stopped me from water changes and I have had no deaths. If you check the ammonia level the next morning and it is 0, your filters are working properly. You can 3x/4x the prime when you treat the tap if your filter is cycled. It should process the ammonia before it becomes an issue.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2017, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (13/100%)
Many municipalities use chloramines in their water.
When using de-chlorinator such as Prime a .25 NH3 reading is not uncommon either.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
What size tank? If small enough, use 5 gallon buckets, toss floaters in them, put a clamp light on them, and let them sit a few days.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
OP appears to have answered their own question in original post."I know any ammonia is bad"
Question might be for some..How harmful are low level's of ammonia over how long?
Believe same answer applies if one is thinking of fishes/shrimp's.
Some species more tolerable than other's.
I might use untreated tap water that has been setting next to the tank in a bucket for a couple day's for top offs in larger tanks,But anytime I am replacing water in larger volume such as weekly water changes,I use PRIME.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I use prime to dechlorinate my water. It's only a 10 gallon tank but I go ahead and add a full cap of prime. I change 30 to 40% of my water religiously on Sundays. I only have a couple of bunches of java fern right now. I had several other plants but they weren't doing too good so I tossed them. I'm thinking about dieting it and starting over with plants. As far as fish goes, I have 2 ottos, 3 nerite snails, a zebra danio and 2 guppies. My ph is 6.8. Ammonia is always .25ppm. Nitrite is always 0 and nitrate is usually around 10ppm.

Oh and the tank has been cycled for a year

I dose flourish and excel every couple of days. No co2. Floramax substrate and I keep tank 76-78 degrees with light on 6 hrs a day on a timer.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 06-04-2017 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 08:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Dose excel everyday. Every couple of days is a waste of time and excel.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Algae Grower

My two cents. I think you will be just fine with a cycled tank and adding a dechlorinator. Between plants and BB, the ammonia will be consumed within 12 hours and at those levels you are more concerned with chronic than acute toxicity (.25 for 12 hours is no problem, .25 continuously would be more of a concern).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'll be sure to do that. Thanks for the tip 👍

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode