Keeping QT tank cycled - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Keeping QT tank cycled

Iím wondering what is the best and easiest way to keep a 10g quarantine tank cycled when there are no fish in it? Iíve just moved 12 neons from the QT to my display tank and Iíll be getting some coryís soon Ė but right now the QT is up and running without fish. I donít want to lose my BB! Can I do it with just fish food? If so, how much should I put in? Iíve never used ammonia before and am hesitant to try it, but if thatís the best way how much should I start with? Thank you!

Jane C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just finished cycling a 125 with janitorial ammonia. I imagine adding a few drops of ammonia every couple of days wouldn't take too much effort. There is a calculator somewhere that tells you how much to add (rotalabutterfly maybe?).

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Not sure the dose, but add a teaspoon until you get 2 to 4 ppm of ammonia in your tank and when its gone in 24hrs you are ready.

for the future: depending on the size of your display tank, and type of filter, you could just keep extra bio media with your primary setup. I have a 90gallon tank with a sump that has a ton of bio-media. When I need to QT, I can just take ten gallons from that along with matrix rocks/bio balls/sponge foam from the sump and have an instant setup. Just put the aged media in the QT filter, refill the 90 and done. You could also throw your QT filter on your main tank until you need it, unless it would be an eye sore

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

The problem with using ammonia is if you have to plunk a fish in QT and there is still ammonia in the tank, it will kill your fish.

You're better off keeping extra bio media in your filter from your main tank and only using it when you have to use the QT tank. Keeping a sponge filter in your main tank for this purpose would do the same thing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
This is where we need to do some judgement on what is best. If you want the tank ready for a full blown load, Fishless cycle with ammonia is the only way to get a full load of bacteria to be ready for a full load of fish. But that is often not the case. We may want to be ready for half dozen small fish needing far less than a full blown bacteria. For my QT use, I rarely put many new fish into QT, so just being ready to "loan" some of the media from an existing tank to the QT filter is plenty of bacteria to do it.
Assume your existing tank is ready and really mature enough to not miss maybe 25-50 % of the media? Take it to the QT when the fish arrive and, "bingo" you are covered. Add some safety by knowing the fish are likely to arrive without having eaten in a bit so produce less waste, don't feed them for a couple days as they are not likely to be ready to fully eat as they de-stress from shipping and you can see that the bacteria in the used media can catch up really well.
Hanging the small QT filter on the existing tank does much the same and can work well. Say 75% bacteria in the big filter and 25% in the small so the loss is not noticed. The whole tank has bacteria but let's not get complicated?
Just watch both tanks when making changes so that something doesn't sneak up on you. An ammonia spike doesn't mean death but it does pay to have some plans in mind in cases of misjudging things. I keep Ammo-chips on the shelf for screwup mitigation! Water changes do a good job, too.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Great suggestions! I was going to put my QT media in my display tank to keep it going, but thought that wouldnít be a good idea as I could cross contaminate. I do have a large sponge filter in the display tank that I could take out and put into the QT tank. Then I could purchase a new sponge filter in the DTÖ.. Thanks everyone!

Jane C.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 02:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lots of ways to handle the QT and lots of different situations where QT might be needed, so there is no one single way that works for all times and places. I normally do not buy fish, so I don't keep a QT full time. But I also do keep a tank reserved or one which could be converted to QT if needed. We each need to fit it to our situation and part of that question is taking an honest look at our record.
If we are at a stage where sick fish are a normal thing, we may need to keep QT for somebody most of the time. If we order in groups of fish frequently, much the same is true but if we do neither of those, we can remove some work by just sticking the tank in the closet until needed.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 06:25 AM
Algae Grower

I just throw some snails in my quarantine tanks and feed them. Got fish coming in, cull good chunk of snails and drop fish without ever an issue.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 09:02 PM
Algae Grower

How big is your QT? When I had my QT about 30g I just kept a pair of BN plecos in there and would feed them everyday. They poop everytime so my sponge filter stays cycled. I only do water changes (if there are no new fish to QT) once every two weeks. Twice a week with new fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 01:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

My QT is 10 gallons. I expect to have the QT up and running for a few months while I slowly stock my 75g. Sometimes the QT is "fishless" for a week or so while I am waiting for new fish to arrive. I am ordering schools of 6-12 fish at a time and I obviously want to preserve the QT BB if I can. I think moving the sponge filters from the DT to the QT would work pretty well in my situation. I appreciate the suggestions!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode