Problem with cloudy water. UV Sterilizer, purigen, no ammonia. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dman911
  • 2 Post By Dman911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-22-2017, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
So I take care of a tank at an office, and it is planted, with CO2, plants are growing fine, there is no ammonia, we have a UV sterilizer on it, and we run purigen. We use eco-complete as a substrate and the plants are growing like crazy. We have fish dying more than we would like. Maybe a few a week, yet we have plenty of fish that are not dead. And often amano shrimp and nerite snails die.

I run a canister filter and a small powerhead on the tank. It is 44 gallons, we have a AI Prime over the tank.

The tank is often a bit cloudy. A light haze or foggy to the water, always. It seems cycled and has been running for months now.

I do weekly water changes on it and never read ammonia. I am not sure why.

I added the purigen recently (last wednesday) because I thought that may help. But nothing yet.

I plan to go test more to get more updated parameters tomorrow. I also ordered an iron test kit.

I am wondering if iron may be the cause. We use tap water and I am curious as to if the tap water is the issue. May there be iron in the tap water?

Looking for advice, I am lost. I have never had these issues in planted tanks.

My tank looks likes this always
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/11...chem-iron.html

I do not ad iron but I do use tap water that may contain iron. I am going to try testing iron in the tap water with a seachem iron test kit.

Maybe I will switch to using RO water?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-23-2017 at 12:30 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Could be a bacterial bloom? Wipe your finger over a suction cup and check if tiny whitish tissue paper stuff comes off and floats around the tank.

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Could be a bacterial bloom? Wipe your finger over a suction cup and check if tiny whitish tissue paper stuff comes off and floats around the tank.

Dan
I thought a UV sterilizer would take care of a bacteria bloom...? I know it'll knock out the single cell algae that causes green water. But yes, white cloudy water is a sign of a bacterial bloom.

As your shrimp and fish die, ammonia will be released into the water. Shrimp start to degrade quite rapidly in my experience. Your filter may handle the spike fast enough that your test kit won't detect it, but it's still happening. The frequent deaths could be a sign of ammonia spikes as well. I lost a lot of shrimp in a matter of weeks because I was getting small ammonia spikes as one would die and I didn't find it soon enough. I had some cloudy water during that time too. My tank was planted heavily enough that sometimes I never found their little shrimp bodies.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 04:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
I thought a UV sterilizer would take care of a bacteria bloom...? I know it'll knock out the single cell algae that causes green water. But yes, white cloudy water is a sign of a bacterial bloom.

As your shrimp and fish die, ammonia will be released into the water. Shrimp start to degrade quite rapidly in my experience. Your filter may handle the spike fast enough that your test kit won't detect it, but it's still happening. The frequent deaths could be a sign of ammonia spikes as well. I lost a lot of shrimp in a matter of weeks because I was getting small ammonia spikes as one would die and I didn't find it soon enough. I had some cloudy water during that time too. My tank was planted heavily enough that sometimes I never found their little shrimp bodies.
Yes but bulbs need replacement and often times over looked so I figured a quick swab of a suction cup could possibly identify the problem or at least eliminate it as a suspect. One thing I have learned in this hobby is things don't always work as they should and never rule anything out.

Dan

Bump: Also how much water are you changing weekly? and are you treating it and how?

Dan
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recently got a new spin on cloudy water, also. I never have it but suddenly I do. That is a good time to ask what has changed and I look at my log book. I recently upgraded my lighting! I had slowly collected a group of lights and wanted to clear the clutter so went to a Beamworks 48" fixture on this 75. Now I have what looks like really tiny specks of "something" that totals to make the tank look cloudy. A couple daus ago I turned on a UV lamp on the Sunsun 304B and it did knock the cloudy look for a bit but not for long. Now I am building a setup to move the LED fixture up off the glass further to cut the light intensity. I've already worked on cutting the length of lighting and it did not seem to help.
Any chance of changes that may be throwing a wild card into a normal situation?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

Just had a thought here... who cleans your office and what chemicals are they cleaning with? I'm wondering if the tanks glass or something around or over it being cleaned with chemicals like Windex/all purpose cleaner. This can and will kill fish leading to excess organics and bacterial blooms and could explain why its a persistent problem? Just a thought.

Dan
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

I checked what they use to clean (this being said, they have had an aquarium in this office without these problems prior.)

Alcohol can easily get into an aquarium. No alcohol. They use Murphy Soft Wipes for Wood Clean & Dust,

I tested the tap, no iron, but copper is reading 0.3ppm. Is this high for a planted tank? This again is the tap water, not tank water.

We do about 50% water changes once per week. We use Prime. It is well water.

The tank is cycled, we may have like one amano shrimp die over a three day period. The tank is 44 gallons. Doubt that is the cause for cloudiness.

I just started Tuesday night with a 15 gallon RO water change.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170524_085302562_HDR_1495731853858.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	759434  

Name:	IMG_20170523_183600527_HDR_1495731880002.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	759442  

Name:	IMG_20170523_181519741_HDR_1495731942771.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	759450  

Name:	IMG_20170523_181532125_1495731976114.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	759458  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-28-2017 at 05:15 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode