3Likes
  • 2 Post By clownplanted
  • 4 Post By osmosis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
high phosphate?

Certainly not the chemical guru sort so I'm needing some help.
My tank runs high/very high phosphate. None in the water but there are lots of heavy eaters ? breeding stock and I do feed lots.
Is the phosphate I test from food alone, debris , etc and I should not be adding KH2PO4? The phosphate on testing is what the plants need?
So when I drop adding the fert, is there a practical way beyond water changing, cleaning filters, that I should look at doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hmm no one else chimed in? As far as I am aware yes the phosphate you are testing is what the plants need. So if your level is high then no need to dose the kh2po4. So I would get your nkp as separate so you only dose what is needed. I would try to keep inline with the 10:1 Nitrate to phosphate. Think running a low nitrate and high phosphate could cause issues? I will let the experts chime in though but am pretty sure that is the case.
PlantedRich and PlantedRich like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 AM
Algae Grower

In environmental chemistry we draw distinctions between organic and inorganic phosphates. From a testing perspective they can be different, but I am nearly certain that most plants can get their phosphorus needs met by either source. It seems more likely that a test kit wouldn't see some phosphates plants can use than the other way around.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Hmm no one else chimed in? As far as I am aware yes the phosphate you are testing is what the plants need. So if your level is high then no need to dose the kh2po4. So I would get your nkp as separate so you only dose what is needed. I would try to keep inline with the 10:1 Nitrate to phosphate. Think running a low nitrate and high phosphate could cause issues? I will let the experts chime in though but am pretty sure that is the case.
Issues it may cause? I might guess that algae is one that I've ignored much of the time. But then when I do test it does give me pause when I see the phosphate totally beyond any recommended. I get wanting to hold it down but that just doesn't seem too easy with this tank as it is a big tank (125) and I'm kind of against dumping more than 60 gallons more often than once a week. I've gone with no phosphate added for about six months or so and still have really high readings. Nitrate, I can keep in the moderate range without straining too hard.
I guess I will see how it goes on a smaller tank I'm setting with no plans for fish. With none tested in the tap, if I get high in the tank, That will throw me into a whole different area to think about!
Since the fish are doing well, breeding and that sort of things, I don't worry the tests too much but then it does leave me this funny feeling that there is something not right that should be given more attention.
Thanks to both for the help. Just one of those small things that bug me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Issues it may cause? I might guess that algae is one that I've ignored much of the time. But then when I do test it does give me pause when I see the phosphate totally beyond any recommended. I get wanting to hold it down but that just doesn't seem too easy with this tank as it is a big tank (125) and I'm kind of against dumping more than 60 gallons more often than once a week. I've gone with no phosphate added for about six months or so and still have really high readings. Nitrate, I can keep in the moderate range without straining too hard.
I guess I will see how it goes on a smaller tank I'm setting with no plans for fish. With none tested in the tap, if I get high in the tank, That will throw me into a whole different area to think about!
Since the fish are doing well, breeding and that sort of things, I don't worry the tests too much but then it does leave me this funny feeling that there is something not right that should be given more attention.
Thanks to both for the help. Just one of those small things that bug me.
That is strange that it is that high when you tested tap and it is none. Maybe some rotting stems or leaves or substrate needs maybe a deep clean? Not sure on that one. In your case I would mix your own Macros and leave out phosphates since you for sure have that covered. That way you are not in excess.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
That is strange that it is that high when you tested tap and it is none. Maybe some rotting stems or leaves or substrate needs maybe a deep clean? Not sure on that one. In your case I would mix your own Macros and leave out phosphates since you for sure have that covered. That way you are not in excess.
Yes, I do go with dry ferts as that is one way I can adjust things pretty easy at times. I think we had a discussion of large swords? Part of my getting back to thinking about phosphate is the way the sword suddenly jumped into high gear when I started adding K2PO4 again. I had decided I had too much so I dropped that one from the feeding but then I was not happy with the growth as it seemed to be slow. Osmocote plus caps were on that I had been using at one time and I thought maybe they were a cause for high phosphate but that has been more than a year and seemed they would be nearly gone by now. But still I was reading up in the 4.0 range for phosphate.
Still looking at the what and why of adding or not on this tank. With enough work filter cleaning and water changing, I can get the reading down into the 3-4 range if I'm not adding any PO but then it seemed to slow the big plants more than I wanted. That seemed to lead to the top leafs that get the most light getting algae around the edges.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

high phosphate?

Yes I remember the discussion about the large swords. The interesting thing is mine seem to do best when the phosphate is at the 3-4ppm range also. So my phosphate has been that range all week due to me dosing the full amount of macros for the week instead of every other day. I noticed my swords really picked up growth and color. In fact my red sword has never had larger or redder leaves like they have now. In face right now my phosphate is at 4ppm. Check out these pics to show what I'm talking about. I have never seen a red sword with this large of leaves or this red. This shows the newest leaves which are the reddest are the healthiest I have ever seen. That large leaf shown is 12"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

These are the Oslet and the pattern seems to vary? I think I'm running a little less than the optimum light in this tank as my red comes in spots and less than what you are getting. But then if I bump the light more, I'm most likely looking at having to do other changes as well so I'm pretty pleased with just standing pat for a while.
Part of what brought phosphate to the top of the "wondering" is that this plant almost takes a bush-hog to keep cut back so that I can't imagine needing more growth but it still gets algae on the leaf edges of the top leaf.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode