• 2 Post By GrampsGrunge
  • 2 Post By burr740
  • 2 Post By Aqua99

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Adjusting K for Hygrophila

Even though some of these are supposed to be easy, I am a hygro killer. Most other plants do fine. I'm thinking I should up the K but adding liquid Seachem Potassium is expensive.

Here is my macro formula:
6 parts KNO3 [N+K]
3 parts KH2PO4 [P+K]
3 Parts K2SO4 [K]
1 part Ca(NO3)2 [Ca+N]
1 part MgSO4 [Mg]

Should I add more K2SO4 or what would you suggest?

Larry Grenier, Husband, Father, Grandfather
Member:
Potomac Valley Aquarium Society
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygrenier View Post
Even though some of these are supposed to be easy, I am a hygro killer. Most other plants do fine. I'm thinking I should up the K but adding liquid Seachem Potassium is expensive.

Here is my macro formula:
6 parts KNO3 [N+K]
3 parts KH2PO4 [P+K]
3 Parts K2SO4 [K]
1 part Ca(NO3)2 [Ca+N]
1 part MgSO4 [Mg]

Should I add more K2SO4 or what would you suggest?
You already have potassium sulfate just up the amount..

I'd be really sure that it's a K deficiency before throwing more chemicals in the water.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks GrampsGrunge

I suspect K defficiency only because of the health of all the other plants. This is 2 96 gallon tanks plummed together and Hygros do extremely poorly in both while other plants are doing fine and require regular trimming.

Member:

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (131/100%)
Pics of the Hygro and other plants would help, and a full tank shot

And more info about your substrate, light, and CO2?

Also could you list the actual ppms youre dosing? Listing the parts of everything (or mls or tsps) doesnt really say much.

Are you dosing any micro nutrients or Fe?

Here is a nutrient calculator that'll figure the ppms for you. https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

"Premixed" will give you brand name products like Flourish liquids, DIY is for dry salts like KNO3 etc.

Hygros have a reputation for being K hogs. This is primarily because most varieties are quick to display the classic pinhole symptoms in lower leaves.

This can sometimes be a straight K deficiency, but can also be an "induced" deficiency brought on by some other nutrient imbalance.

Its sounds like you probably have enough K, but again its hard to say without knowing the specific ppms.

Do you know the total GH of your tap water, or whatever kind of water you're using? Specifically how much Ca and Mg is in thereto begin with? That'll help knowing if you might be low on either one of those.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

My hygros are the same. I have quite a few varieties in the same tank and they love their K. If I don't dose it in addition to my EI dosing, I watch them slowly whither away. Oddly enough, my Hygrophila Angustifolia seems to be the first one of the varieties to show deficiencies.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

You can get potassium chloride at ACE in the water softener area if you are worried about getting sulfate too high. I'm a bit shocked you can be short on potassium when dosing all those potassium salts for your other macro ingredients. Seems like it would be a huge excess, which matches Edwards charts in the article on NPK relationships (http://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer).

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. After using the Nutrient Calculator" I've adjusted my EI to be more K-heavy. I'm almost out of liquid Seachem Potassium and after dosing a little of this things seem to be slightly improving. I use GLA's dry ferts so adding more K2SO4 [Potassium sulfate] is no big deal. Yes, I also dose CSM+B on alternate days. I will be getting new lights soon so I'm hoping for benefits from that as-well.

Member:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode