• 2 Post By freshestemo412
  • 2 Post By akd200
  • 2 Post By akd200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green leaf ferts.

I got the dry ferts. from these guys and planned on EI dosing but I do about 2/3 water change daily [30 gal on a 55 with sump]

I figure 1 tsp. macro, and 15 drops micro for normal EI daily, but with the equivalent of the the large water change once a week EI calls for that I do daily, I do not think I get the saturation required.

Should I add 6 tps. daily?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 07:41 PM
Algae Grower

That may end up being too much even with the water change. One way to dial in your ferts is to increase them over time until you get nitrates above 20 ppm (or algae issues) then dose slightly less until you get it back just under 20 ppm.

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
TBH, In your case I'd go with root tabs instead of liquids. That way you don't have to worry about dosing... Is it a heavily planted tank or a high tech with co2?

Why so many water changes? Fry?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 01:26 PM
Algae Grower

Why daily water changes?

IMO, it would be a waste of fertilizer with daily water changes. I thought EI was about excess nutrients in the tank, letting the plants absorb as much as they wanted and by the end of the week you do a water change, which in turn resets everything and then you dose again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf2Frankie View Post
That may end up being too much even with the water change. One way to dial in your ferts is to increase them over time until you get nitrates above 20 ppm (or algae issues) then dose slightly less until you get it back just under 20 ppm.
Thanks for the input. I just got this stuff and am learning as much as my feeble brain can. I also read something about using Total Dissolved Solids as a guide.

Thanx too about the OODA concept, I never heard of that!
Alf2Frankie and Alf2Frankie like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAquarist View Post
TBH, In your case I'd go with root tabs instead of liquids. That way you don't have to worry about dosing... Is it a heavily planted tank or a high tech with co2?

Why so many water changes? Fry?
Thanks for the input! I read that some plants take up nutrients from the water column and others through the roots. About a week ago I made some root tabs using empty frozen red worm empty container. 7 osimicote pellets in each micro cube, I think I put about 11 in the 55gal.

This is my first planted tank and the plants are under 2 months old. I am running CO2, and hopefully with trimming it will become heavily planted.

I was doing 20 gallon daily water changes till about 2 weeks ago. I found a small patch of algae [hair I think] so I upped the water changes, dropped the light to 6 hours, and slightly trimmed food to discourage that growth.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (34/100%)
I agree with the others, I don't see why you need so much water changes! Weekly 50% is fine and that's how the EI schedule is supposed to work!

A squirt of Seachem Excel on the spots will kill the algae instantly most of the time!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshestemo412 View Post
Why daily water changes?

IMO, it would be a waste of fertilizer with daily water changes. I thought EI was about excess nutrients in the tank, letting the plants absorb as much as they wanted and by the end of the week you do a water change, which in turn resets everything and then you dose again.
Thanks for the input! You are right about the working of EI dosing, I have not heard about water changes other than the big weekly one, so I put this out for feedback!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode