2Likes
  • 2 Post By Esteban Colberto
  • 2 Post By nilocg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about Nitrogen and Nitrates

I'm new and these questions may seem stupid but you know how it is when you are new.

1. If I dose SeaChem Nitrogen does that make my measurable Nitrates go up?
2. Where should I keep my measurable Nitrate level for a planted tank?
3. Do I even need SeaChem Nitrogen if I keep my Nitrates at X level?

Thank you very much for any help or information!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 05:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

If your bioload (fish poop and decaying matter) is higher than your nutrient uptake (amount nutrients plants consume) then you probably won't need to add nitrogen. Nitrogen has different forms nh3 (ammonia) nh4 (ammonium) no2 (nitrite) and no3 (nitrate) Seachem nitrogen would be No3 (nitrate) and I won't go further into this and confuse you.

Look here to explain the nitrogen cycle it is very important to understand so ask questions after reading if you need: https://www.thespruce.com/aquarium-n...-cycle-1378370

I would say keeping you nitrates at approx. 20ppm is pretty standard for a planted tank. There are other nutrients beside nitrates that plants need to thrive and some important information for you to list for others to help you are:

1. Lighting
2. Tank size
3. Water parameters
4. filtration
5. Plants types
6. Substrate
7. Type of fish

That info will help others aid you in getting to where you want to be and I'm sure I missed a lot.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
If your bioload (fish poop and decaying matter) is higher than your nutrient uptake (amount nutrients plants consume) then you probably won't need to add nitrogen. Nitrogen has different forms nh3 (ammonia) nh4 (ammonium) no2 (nitrite) and no3 (nitrate) Seachem nitrogen would be No3 (nitrate) and I won't go further into this and confuse you.

Look here to explain the nitrogen cycle it is very important to understand so ask questions after reading if you need: https://www.thespruce.com/aquarium-n...-cycle-1378370

I would say keeping you nitrates at approx. 20ppm is pretty standard for a planted tank. There are other nutrients beside nitrates that plants need to thrive and some important information for you to list for others to help you are:

1. Lighting
2. Tank size
3. Water parameters
4. filtration
5. Plants types
6. Substrate
7. Type of fish

That info will help others aid you in getting to where you want to be and I'm sure I missed a lot.
Ok so just to make sure I'm straight on this you said that Seachem Nitrogen is No3 which is Nitrates. That means my measurable Nitrates would go up if I add Seachem Nitrogen... right?

Keeping Nitrates at 20ppm for a planted tank, got that one.

Still not sure if I keep my Nitrates at 20 ppm would eliminate the need for adding SeaChem Nitrogen. Once I get that one I've got all my questions answered. Thank you very much for the information!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Yes seachem nitrogen is NO3 (nitrates) and K2O (potassium). Yes if your nitrates are 20 ppm ish you will not need to dose nitrogen. Its not a complete fertilizer though but I won't get into that. Yes your measurable nitrates would go up.

Dan
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Yes seachem nitrogen is NO3 (nitrates) and K2O (potassium). Yes if your nitrates are 20 ppm ish you will not need to dose nitrogen. Its not a complete fertilizer though but I won't get into that. Yes your measurable nitrates would go up.

Dan
Thank you sir. I also dose Sechem Flourish, Excel, Phosphorus, Potassium and Iron so hopefully I'm on my way to healthy plants.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:

Dan
Seachem nitrogen actually uses urea as well which would come in the form of nh3/nh4 depending on your ph.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2017, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I find no one "ideal" level for nitrate but just keeping it as low as possible is best for fish but not running it out is better for plants. With a heavy fish load, you may find yourself fighting to change water often enough to get the excess out, while a heavy plant load with little fish load may need some added. Takes a bit of trial and often error to get down how a tank is running and keep in mind that tanks with fish and plants will grow and change so it is not a solid answer for all time. Keeping to 20 is nice but I often run much higher with my cichlid tanks. As high as 60-80 does not seem to worry my breeders but different fish have different tolerance. Most do look at nitrate as pollution and would do better with lower numbers.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilocg View Post
Seachem nitrogen actually uses urea as well which would come in the form of nh3/nh4 depending on your ph.
What is the breaking point ph to determine if it is in the form of nh3 or nh4?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (538/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
What is the breaking point ph to determine if it is in the form of nh3 or nh4?
Anything over 7 and some of the nh4 turns to nh3. The higher the ph and the warmer the water the more nh3 will be present.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode