Changing to hard water - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Changing to hard water

My plants have been slow to look like they are very healthy I was dosing iron only, stared dosing Thrive a week ago.
Tested my water, GH 3;KH 25; PH 8.4;Phosphate 0;Nitrate 10ppm;and Nitrite 0.

It was suggested GH was too low with softened water so I added a supplement.If I continue to add supplements, wont I have to add a correct amount every time I do a water change?

Therefore I am going to replace the water during water changes with hard water. It is pretty hard here in central Indiana GH 24d.

Or is that too hard. I could replace the water with soft water, it would be easier anyway, and dose with a GH supplement.

Thoughts?

Thanks

PS the plants are Anubis, crypts and a sword with root tabs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 04:59 PM
Wannabe Guru

Few questions here

1. What are your tap water parameters?

2. What type of fish are you keeping?

3. Are you using a water softener and if so what are the parameters of the water before it goes through the softener (GH and KH)?

4. Can you list all additives you are adding to the tank?

5. What types of décor are in the tank (Rocks, substrate, wood etc)?

Dan
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cory Cats- panda, black and a normal one, tetras orange and skirted and a clown pleco. Adding Thrive fertilizer and GH Booster.

There is a mix of the old plastic rocks where there are no plants. Where there are plants, a gravel substrate with a sand cover. There is a big piece of driftwood the anubius is attached to.

GH and KH before the water softener was both about 24 degrees. No nitrate, nitrites or ammonia. After the water softener the KH stayed the same but GH was about 2 degrees.

In the tank now the GH is 3 degrees. I have added some hard water and have added some GH supplement.

It is a 29 gallon tank with an LED light on for 10 hours. It is on long and strong enough there is algea growing good. I didnt want to limit the light until the plants started looking better.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'm thinking R/O water and mix with tap water to bring your GH and KH down would probably be your best bet.

Dan
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are you referring to tap water as before the water softener? Is the KH way too high? Where should GH and KH Be?

My livestock have lived very well with the soft water, but now I want to get plants going.

Thanks
Roger
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 07:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you have a gh and kh of 4ish -15ish you should be good for most plants.... mixing your tap water of 24 gh and kh with 50% R /O will get you there.

Dan
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Your problem is not low hardness. 3 dGH is perfect for the vast majority of plants. I suspect your issue is your water softener. Low GH with very high KH suggests your softener is replacing calcium and magnesium with sodium, which is quite detrimental.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. I am about 20 miles from a LFS that supplies RO water, and Im not sure if I want plants bad enough to drive there to get water, or have my own RO water here.

I may try purchasing some RO water, see how the plants look and decide later what to do.

Thanks
Roger
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I purchased RO water form LFS. It is a thirty minute drive from home. And since I didn't want to change the water all at once, I knew it would take several partial water changes. I tool this water back and elected to just use my pre water softener water and do small water changes, 6 gallons at a time in a 29 gallon tank. I know it will take a lot of water changes to get rid of all the soft water.

After several water changes I see the livestock are just as happy and the plants are putting on new growth. I also turned down the intensity of the LED lights so I am not fighting algae like I was before.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2017, 12:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Glad to hear. Having your own unit makes things easier.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode