Which NilocG Dry Fertilizer should I use? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Which NilocG Dry Fertilizer should I use?

I have a 30 gallon planted tank that I've had running for a month. My plants started well but took a hit when I only used root tabs as fertilizer with nothing in the water column. Once I detected the problem I started dosing SeaChem Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium and things are looking better.

Based on some forum conversations I've decided to investigate using NilocG dry ferts but when I look in their website/product list there are so many different choices that I have no idea what to pick.

Dry Fertilizer | Aquarium Fertilizer

I would really love just one bag/type of fertilizer to use rather than mixing and matching and adding this or that based on this or that. I just want to dose on a regular basis based using simple instructions. If anyone could clue me in I'd be very grateful. Here is my plant list:

Ludwigia Repens x1
Echinodorus 'Kleiner Bar' x1
Cryptocoryne Undulatus x1
Hydrophila Difformis x1
Egeria Densa x3
Cryptocoryne Petchii x1
Bacopa Caroliniana x1
Marsilea Hirsuta x4

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
Are you injecting CO2? What king of lights to you have on the tank? How often do you or are you willing to do water changes?

The answers to these questions can also help make the decision. Colin has just about anything you will need for any dosing method but again, the answers to those questions will help.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 01:21 PM
Algae Grower

EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics

Thats the basic EI fertilizers

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 02:32 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (132/100%)
He's got an all in one premixed liquid called Thrive, never tried it personally

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've been using the EI package on my low tech tanks,but I'm just doing a 1/3 dose.I find it very convenient,and it was the first ferts I started with,so I got it to keep it simple.

DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer| Premium Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

it's lasted so long the price has changed.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtAnimals View Post
I've been using the EI package on my low tech tanks,but I'm just doing a 1/3 dose.I find it very convenient,and it was the first ferts I started with,so I got it to keep it simple.

DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer| Premium Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

it's lasted so long the price has changed.

+1. Super easy. Pre mixed macros and micros. Just put one micro packet in one provided 500ml bottle and fill with RO water and same with one macro packet in another bottle. Then just dose on alternating days up to 3 times per week. All you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
What would happen if someone mixed tap water with the chemicals?

I have bought his liquid micro and macros before but it is expensive when buying it mixed already. I have been thinking about buying one of the kits that you linked to or I was going to buy the dry ferts to does the dry stuff directly into my tank. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

<--- My tank!!!

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

If you don't use RO water for your tanks, you can just use distilled water to mix the ferts with to keep from any possible issues with mixing with tap, but I don't know if any issues that could have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Gallon Bowfront Planted w/ Angelfish, GBR, Rummynose, Corydoras Aeneus albino, Mystery & Nerite snails
2x 5 Gallon planted with betta, Mystery & Nerite Snails
40 Gallon Breeder Planted w/ Blue Tetra
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 07:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

Tap water contains minerals etc. Depending on your tap water you may not be able to dissolve all of the ferts as it may become saturated resulting in an imbalance of nutrients. That's is why distilled water is recommended.

Dan
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:22 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
Tap water contains minerals etc. Depending on your tap water you may not be able to dissolve all of the ferts as it may become saturated resulting in an imbalance of nutrients. That's is why distilled water is recommended.

Dan
Dan is right. I used distilled water and it still took a couple of days to fully dissolve the powders into solution. Works well and is a bargain IMO.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Perfect, that actually just answered my question too on the RO water.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradleyv1714 View Post
What would happen if someone mixed tap water with the chemicals?

I have bought his liquid micro and macros before but it is expensive when buying it mixed already. I have been thinking about buying one of the kits that you linked to or I was going to buy the dry ferts to does the dry stuff directly into my tank. Any thoughts or opinions on this?

i think most here dose dry ferts. i do. premixed solutions have the potential to grow mold and algae (especially if not refrigerated).
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:49 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
i think most here dose dry ferts. i do. premixed solutions have the potential to grow mold and algae (especially if not refrigerated).
So you just dose straight into aquarium?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think what I might end up buying is this...

http://nilocg.com/ei-based-npk-csm-b/

And just buy some measuring spoons to dose it right into my tank. I already have some th booster but I haven't used it much.

<--- My tank!!!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Or just put the water in a large pot and heat it up to just about boiling temp and mix in the salts. Much more easy!
Bradleyv1714 and Bradleyv1714 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode