Liquid fertz. How much is too much? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By clownplanted

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid fertz. How much is too much?

So I dont know whats normal but Im using Seachems aquavitro fertilizers and according to the dosing recommendations im dosing 4x the amount of phosphates/potassium and 2x the amount of nitrogen. But when I do my tests in the evening after the lights go out my phosphates have dropped down to barely 0.25 ppm and nitrates 0. So I decided to test nitrates this morning after i dosed and it still said 0. I shook the 2nd bottle for a whole minute like it says. But then I tested for ammonia since the fertilizer does contain some and the test kit read 0.25.
The nitrates test kit is brand new.
Its a high light tank with a GLA pro system. The plants grow fast and theyre pearling like crazy, it looks like soda in there. I had the fertz all figured out for awhile, but I just did a bit of a rescape and added some driftwood and 2 new species of plants. I added rotala macrandra and Anubias coffefolia. How much more fertz are those plants capable of sucking up that I would need to increase my fertz so much?
And since when did Anubias pearl? Its crazy how much that anubia is spewing oxygen bubbles... I expected it from Rotala macrandra, I did not expect it from the Anubia. Anybody else have and experience with needing to overdose? Whats normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)
You can't really od on the aqua vitro line, its' pps pro method.
Too much?
I do not know, i've had ppm KNO3 of 120 or more, po4 at 10 n above ppm....
It seems an established system of healthy plants can handle anything.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Liquid fertz. How much is too much?

Retest your nitrates. I'm 100% sure that it's not zero. Especially dosing like that. Sorry but no way they are consuming that much. I had this problem even after shaking hard. Do this

Grab the two nitrate API test bottles and tap the two tops together. Pretty hard. Do this for a good 15-30 seconds. The. After that shake the bottles till you literally get a dislocated shoulder. I promise you will see something other than zero. Oh and when you see it shows a dark red I recommend to immediately do a wc. Trust me on this.

My kit was also brand new and showing the same thing. I then did what I said above and my nitrates were actually 80ppm

Another way to verify is do a nitrate test about 30 minutes after dosing. If it shows 0 at that point then I am surely right.

I see that you said that you did test after you dosed. There is absolutely zero chance that it would read 0. Do what I said and you will see. Just knock the two tops with the lids on pretty hard. Then shake really really hard each bottle for at least a minute.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2017, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Did you retest the way I mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode