Safe t sorb and nitrates - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Safe t sorb and nitrates

Does safe t sorb help raise nitrate levels in the tank , my water constantly test at 40 ppm even after water changes and filter cleaning, I have a planted 40 breeder at 50% fish capacity neons, minnows and snails. It did effect the ph at first but I have that under control. I change 25% water or more every week. Everything else is just fine and the fish show no I'll signs I figure my Otto's would be the first to let me know and they are doing great. I've just run out of ideas to get it to lower and don't want to use chems .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Having two tanks filled with STS I would have to say it does not raise NO3.
Both tank get dosed KNO3 3x a week and only showing 10ppm.
It can soften and drop pH until it becomes saturated.

Have you tested your tap water yet???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi aphex,

Welcome to TPT!

+1 for Maryland Guppy's comment, Safe-t-sorb does not raise nitrates. In fact, when it is 'fresh' it probably actually absorbs nitrates as well as other nutrients.

I agree that if you haven't checked the nitrate level of your tap water it would be wise to do so. Also, have you calibrated your nitrate test kit using a sample with a known NO3 level....some test kits and most test strips are notoriously inaccurate.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode