Dry ferts ...low tech tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry ferts ...low tech tank

Im looking for a better dosing regimen for my 40 gallon low tech tank (currently dosing Seachem Excel and Flourish only). Ive read a lot about Tom Barr and his approach (really want to dose once per week and that is all). Here is what I was planning to dose and would like recommendations.
  • KNO3 1/8 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • KH2Po4 1/32 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • Traces 1/32 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • GH Booster teaspoon (1 per week)
Here are my questions:
  • Is the above the correct ferts to dose and the amounts for 1 per week?
  • Do I just add the dry ferts directly into tank? Or how do I dose them?
  • Can these ferts be combined and dosed together?
  • Do I still dose Excel?
  • Where is the best place to buy these ferts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by msujohn View Post
I’m looking for a better dosing regimen for my 40 gallon low tech tank (currently dosing Seachem Excel and Flourish only). I’ve read a lot about Tom Barr and his approach (really want to dose once per week and that is all). Here is what I was planning to dose and would like recommendations.
  • KNO3 – 1/8 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • KH2Po4 – 1/32 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • Traces – 1/32 teaspoon (1 per week)
  • GH Booster – teaspoon (1 per week)
Here are my questions:
  • Is the above the correct ferts to dose and the amounts for 1 per week?
  • Do I just add the dry ferts directly into tank? Or how do I dose them?
  • Can these ferts be combined and dosed together?
  • Do I still dose Excel?
  • Where is the best place to buy these ferts?
best place is to get them from online or a local aquarium hobby store. for dry fertz, you should be putting the solid fertz into your dirt/substrate. you want to put it deep enough so it leaches its vitamins so the plants roots will reach and suck from it. dry fertz should last months at a time.

i think you're mistaking liquid fertz with dry fertz. liquid fertz is like a juice that pour into your tank's water and it circulates around your tank that is usually dosed by the weeks.

how much to put in? depending on how much nutrients are already in your tank, how many plants and how big they are. it's hard to give a definite number, best is to look at your plants. look at their leaves, their color, their shape. Those will be your doctor's report on their health and you as their doctor will prescribe them whatever fertz they need.

yes, you can dose excel if you want. fertz wont replace excel and excel wont replace fertz. they are their own to channels. excel helps burn off algae spores floating in the water and plants can metabolize better thus giving better growth.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:40 PM
Algae Grower

Lots of great questions -

1. Yes, you have the correct amount for directly dosing dry ferts in a low tech setup.
2. There are two ways in which you can dose the nutrients, by making stock solutions or by adding dry powders using a set of standard spoons. You already have the correct calculations for just dumping the dry ferts in your tank with spoons. Or you can make new calculations for mixing the Macros in a 250 ml or 500 ml bottle by downloading this - http://web.archive.org/web/200806010...t_aquacalc.htm
3. KN03 and KH2Po4 can be combined as a Macro solution if you mix them like I mentioned above. Traces or Micro solution can be mixed with GH. Honestly, you can just keep using Flourish for your Micro solution, it has everything you need for trace nutrients.
4. Yes, keep adding Excel for more growth.

5. Many people on the forum buy ferts from here - Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I find it is easier to make my own solution and dose per ML with a syringe. This way I am dosing my Macros together and 1 less task for the hobby

If you need help calculating your own solution let me know - Good Luck!!!

recognize the OODA loop within everything you do

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf2Frankie View Post
Lots of great questions -

1. Yes, you have the correct amount for directly dosing dry ferts in a low tech setup.
2. There are two ways in which you can dose the nutrients, by making stock solutions or by adding dry powders using a set of standard spoons. You already have the correct calculations for just dumping the dry ferts in your tank with spoons. Or you can make new calculations for mixing the Macros in a 250 ml or 500 ml bottle by downloading this - http://web.archive.org/web/200806010...t_aquacalc.htm
3. KN03 and KH2Po4 can be combined as a Macro solution if you mix them like I mentioned above. Traces or Micro solution can be mixed with GH. Honestly, you can just keep using Flourish for your Micro solution, it has everything you need for trace nutrients.
4. Yes, keep adding Excel for more growth.

5. Many people on the forum buy ferts from here - Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

I find it is easier to make my own solution and dose per ML with a syringe. This way I am dosing my Macros together and 1 less task for the hobby

If you need help calculating your own solution let me know - Good Luck!!!

Thanks for this info. I have a few additional questions. If I was to buy the PPS pro fert package (on the GLA website), it looks like it comes with several ferts and containers to mix the macro and micro.

- CSM + B (I'm assuming is traces)
- KNO3 (Macro)
- KH2PO4 (Macro)
- K2S04 (Is this a Macro?)
- MGSO4 (Is this a Macro?)

Is one of these GH Booster? Or do I need to add that separate?

Looks like I will need a digital scale to measure the ferts. What do you recommend?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use the EI package from NilocG,a forum sponsor.It comes as a kit with 2 bottles,you just add water.The EI dose is printed on the side of the bottle.I've been using it for about 2 years on multiple tanks,so a very good value.

you can get it here: DIY EI Liquid Fertilizer| Premium Aquarium Fertilizer | NilocG Aquatics

I use a 1/3 EI macros once a week,and 1/3 EI micros twice a week.All my tanks are low-tech,and I've had good results.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I have a few additional questions. If I was to buy the PPS pro fert package (on the GLA website), it looks like it comes with several ferts and containers to mix the macro and micro.

- CSM + B (I'm assuming is traces)
- KNO3 (Macro)
- KH2PO4 (Macro)
- K2S04 (Is this a Macro?)
- MGSO4 (Is this a Macro?)

Is one of these GH Booster? Or do I need to add that separate?

Looks like I will need a digital scale to measure the ferts. What do you recommend?
Both K2S04 & MGS04 are used to make up GH Booster so you should not need to add that separate. Use their directions to mix everything - Our PPS-Pro Fertilizer Pack ? Just Mix & Dose ? Planted Tank Blog

I wouldn't know a specific scale to get, they all will work haha. If you don't care about being super accurate you use teaspoons and convert to grams via google. NOT as accurate, but close.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf2Frankie View Post
Both K2S04 & MGS04 are used to make up GH Booster so you should not need to add that separate. Use their directions to mix everything - Our PPS-Pro Fertilizer Pack ? Just Mix & Dose ? Planted Tank Blog

I wouldn't know a specific scale to get, they all will work haha. If you don't care about being super accurate you use teaspoons and convert to grams via google. NOT as accurate, but close.

Thanks a lot - that clarifies a lot of my questions. I will probably just use teaspoons to do the mixing vs. buying a scale at this point. (unless there is a reason it has to be exact).

So if I mix it up like suggested via the link.

Macro - 1 ML per 10 gallon (I'd use 4 ML's - once per week)
Micro - 0.1 ML per 10 gallon (I'd use .4ML - once per week) - that could be tough measuring that correctly.

Is that correct?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 04:48 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Thanks a lot - that clarifies a lot of my questions. I will probably just use teaspoons to do the mixing vs. buying a scale at this point. (unless there is a reason it has to be exact).

So if I mix it up like suggested via the link.

Macro - 1 ML per 10 gallon (I'd use 4 ML's - once per week)
Micro - 0.1 ML per 10 gallon (I'd use .4ML - once per week) - that could be tough measuring that correctly.

Is that correct?
Looks correct to me. However, that is for a medium light set-up with C02. Since you are dosing Excel you can start off this way but if you notice any issues I would cut the dosing in half.

Dosing .01 ML is actually quite easy using a pipette (I think they include it in the package) 1 ML = about 20 drops, so .4ML = 8-9 drops.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode