KH/GH question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
KH/GH question

I'm trying to cycle my first planted tank. Algae is getting a little out of control.
It's a Spec V. I want to use this primarily for shrimp and a few small fish. Ammonia and nitrites aren't really coming down. Did about a 20% water change today and it looks better. The water I removed had a yellow tint to it.

I got a TDS pen and the gh/kh kit in the mail Monday so I checked it today. TDS was 350, tap water is 150. Tested gh and kh today. kh took 5 drops and gh took 12. I don't really know what that means, the directions weren't that clear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

API test kit or a different brand? Also something is raising your TDS what substrate and décor do you have? nothing wrong with 350 but if something is buffering it may build up over time

Dan
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonA View Post
I got a TDS pen and the gh/kh kit in the mail Monday so I checked it today. TDS was 350, tap water is 150. Tested gh and kh today. kh took 5 drops and gh took 12. I don't really know what that means, the directions weren't that clear.
TDS pretty good, GH & KH pretty good. GH could be lower, but you can grow almost anything at that level.

Nothing there to be alarmed about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---
---

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

KH/GH question

Do a larger water change. Would be fine to do a 75% at once instead of many small ones to get same effect.

Your gh and kh are fine. Once you get nitrites and ammonia under control you are good.

Keep doing the daily smaller water changes till nitrite and ammonia are 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
API test kit or a different brand? Also something is raising your TDS what substrate and décor do you have? nothing wrong with 350 but if something is buffering it may build up over time

Dan
Yes, all the testing chemicals I have are API.
I have osmocote, miracle grow potting soil, capped with fine black diamond. I also have lava rock in there.
Here it is just after I planted it. It's been a couple weeks since then. It looks like the Monte Carlo is growing in but it's hard to tell.

Is there anything you can do to keep hard water buildup off the waterline?

Flickr is being a pain and not giving the image address. I can inspect the element but it's still not doing what I want it to do.
https://flic.kr/p/UbRvaW

Would it be beneficial to lower the GH? There's a store I get crickets from once a week that sells RO water for cheap.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-27-2017 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Yes, all the testing chemicals I have are API.
I have osmocote, miracle grow potting soil, capped with fine black diamond. I also have lava rock in there.
Here it is just after I planted it. It's been a couple weeks since then. It looks like the Monte Carlo is growing in but it's hard to tell.

Is there anything you can do to keep hard water buildup off the waterline?

Flickr is being a pain and not giving the image address. I can inspect the element but it's still not doing what I want it to do.
https://flic.kr/p/UbRvaW
OK the reason I asked about the test kit is because some test kits calculate the drops differently but API is 1drop=1degree hardness. Are you 100% sure both rocks are lava? Im thinking one of those is what is increasing your TDS but you have a TDS meter so it doesn't really matter as you can do water changes to keep it stable, just thought it would be beneficial to know if and what is causing your TDS to increase and 350 as others stated is absolutely fine. As for hard water at the water line, this is normal as water evaporates so really all you can do is wipe the water line often to prevent buildup. I think like @clownplanted said continue on and wait for 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and then you can worry about getting the nitrates in check before stocking.

Dan

Bump:
Quote:
Would it be beneficial to lower the GH? There's a store I get crickets from once a week that sells RO water for cheap.
I'm not overly equipped to answer that as different shrimp have different recommended parameters and I'm not overly versed in that. You may want to chose the shrimp you wish to keep then ask in the invert section for recommended water parameters. Then get a close as you can without adding a bunch of crap to your water to adjust parameters as I would say stability is more important usually. Once you have that figured out chose plants. Like @Greggz stated with the parameters you have or close to you can grow almost anything.

Dan

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode