0 kh - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
0 kh

Ok so I moved out a few months ago and had to leave my tanks at my parents house for now until I can figure out what to do with them. I was doing a water change today and noticed my kh is at 0, my gh is at 8-9. It's a 90 gallon tank with injected co2. My question is, is my kh ok like that ? I tested my tap water and it's around 6kh so I don't know or understand what's going on with my kh. The tank is a bit of a mess right now and full of all kinds of algae, I don't even know where to start with that right now lol.

Should I be worried about my kh ? And if so how to I correct the problem. I'm not sure where my nitrate is since I ran out of the testing liquid but everything else seems ok. My ph drop is about 7.6 down too 6.2ish but then again I haven't calibrated the controller in a long time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Aceman,

Tom Barr recommends a dKH reading of about 3.0 or greater to avoid a PH crash when injecting CO2. Baking Soda (not baking powder) aka Bicarbonate of Soda will raise the dKH.

1/16 teaspoon of Baking Soda will increase three (3) gallons of water by about 1.0 dKH; it will also increase your PH. I would recommend increasing the dKH slowly over several days to avoid causing distress to any fish. I have managed to melt my Cryptocorynes with a rapid change in dKH / PH.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman View Post
Ok so I moved out a few months ago and had to leave my tanks at my parents house for now until I can figure out what to do with them. I was doing a water change today and noticed my kh is at 0, my gh is at 8-9. It's a 90 gallon tank with injected co2. My question is, is my kh ok like that ? I tested my tap water and it's around 6kh so I don't know or understand what's going on with my kh. The tank is a bit of a mess right now and full of all kinds of algae, I don't even know where to start with that right now lol.

Should I be worried about my kh ? And if so how to I correct the problem. I'm not sure where my nitrate is since I ran out of the testing liquid but everything else seems ok. My ph drop is about 7.6 down too 6.2ish but then again I haven't calibrated the controller in a long time.
some plants can use carbonates in place of CO2 carbon.. most likely what absorbed your tap Kh..even w/ the CO2 injection you could be short w/ a large biomass/surface agitation/delivery errors...
pH drop generally follows (for me at least), though CO2 injection can have a lot to do w/ it..

Personalty I just throw some "coral sand" in a corner (like a heaping tablespoon and near the filter intake)..Crude but it generally boosts my 40 back to at least 1-2dKh...
Most eventually dissolves..
not saying it is the best way, just a way ...

Suspended for 30 days for being awful to other forum members

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Aceman,

Tom Barr recommends a dKH reading of about 3.0 or greater to avoid a PH crash when injecting CO2. Baking Soda (not baking powder) aka Bicarbonate of Soda will raise the dKH.

1/16 teaspoon of Baking Soda will increase three (3) gallons of water by about 1.0 dKH; it will also increase your PH. I would recommend increasing the dKH slowly over several days to avoid causing distress to any fish. I have managed to melt my Cryptocorynes with a rapid change in dKH / PH.

So how much would I need for a 90 ? And I guess I should do like 1dkh per day to avoid shock ?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Aceman,

If it were me, I would do the adjustment over a week or more to avoid shocking sensitive fish.

90 gallon(US), 90 gallon(Imperial) or 90 liter (I see you are in Canada)?

If 90 gallon(US) then I would add 1/2 teaspoon per 24 hours; that should bring you up to about 3.0 dKH in a couple of weeks (not counting water changes)

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Aceman,

If it were me, I would do the adjustment over a week or more to avoid shocking sensitive fish.

90 gallon(US), 90 gallon(Imperial) or 90 liter (I see you are in Canada)?

If 90 gallon(US) then I would add 1/2 teaspoon per 24 hours; that should bring you up to about 3.0 dKH in a couple of weeks (not counting water changes)

Yes lol U.S gallons, ok so 1/2 per day, how often should I check it ? It's a little hard since I don't live there but I do go once per week for water changes
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Hi Aceman,

After a week, before the water change, check your dKH - it should be up about 1-2 dKH from before you started dosing.

Roy_________

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Hi Aceman,

After a week, before the water change, check your dKH - it should be up about 1-2 dKH from before you started dosing.

Awesome, thank you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm just going to guess that you have buffering substrate in your tank, which is "eating" the KH, thus resulting low to 0 KH results... and this also results in lower pH.

Adding in KH to your tank will do two things.... at minimum

Cause pH swings
Cause your substrate to lose it's buffering capacity quicker

If you have buffering substrate, you should be using remineralized RO/DI water using GH+ only. No KH.... unless your tap water automatically came out with 0 KH.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidburg View Post
I'm just going to guess that you have buffering substrate in your tank, which is "eating" the KH, thus resulting low to 0 KH results... and this also results in lower pH.

Adding in KH to your tank will do two things.... at minimum

Cause pH swings

Cause your substrate to lose it's buffering capacity quicker

If you have buffering substrate, you should be using remineralized RO/DI water using GH+ only. No KH.... unless your tap water automatically came out with 0 KH.

I can't remember what substrate I have but I'm pretty sure it doesn't buffer anything, plus it's almost 5 years old I say
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

So the pH drop would be just CO2? Okay.

If the substrate is indeed exhausted, then adding KH in some form may help to stabilize the pH a little... it will still change, but shouldn't as drastically.

Bump: So the pH drop would be just CO2? Okay.

If the substrate is indeed exhausted, then adding KH in some form may help to stabilize the pH a little... it will still change, but shouldn't as drastically.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
So the pH drop would be just CO2? Okay.

Bump: So the pH drop would be just CO2? Okay.

What do you mean by stabilize my ph ? My ph doesn't really fluctuate. When co2 is off its around 7.6 and when co2 is on it drops to about 6.3.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I'm saying that with KH in the tank, the pH may not drop as much when you have CO2 running.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
I'm saying that with KH in the tank, the pH may not drop as much when you have CO2 running.

Oh ok, so that would mean I could add more co2 since the ph won't drop as much

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode