• 2 Post By rhiro
  • 2 Post By Freemananana
  • 2 Post By sevendust111

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
low tech dosing options

Okay so I've filled my tank yesterday after planted several different plants.

I chose plants that would be relatively easy to grow.

I've got a Monte Carlo carpet with narrow leaf Chain Swords, Ludwigia Repens, Hgrophila, and Moneywort.

Substrate is about 2 inches of organic potting mix, with 2 inches of flourite black on top of it.

I'd like to keep the tank low tech with no heater (I'm in Florida where temps are relatively high year round), and no co2.

I had planned on dosing the tank with something. I'm thinking excel + estimative index dosing.

Would this be a good option for me? Or if not what other options do I have.

Here's a pic of the tank -

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You probably don't need EI with a low tech tank. EI keeps the ferts up to keep up with CO2 and lighting driving growth.

Your tank looks great. What is the lighting? Tom Barr has a once weekly dosing regimen he recommends I will be following with my low tech tank. Your tank looks awesome!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 11:45 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
The info in this link is from 2005 so changes could have been made since then.

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Alf2Frankie and Alf2Frankie like this.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2017, 12:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc7 View Post
You probably don't need EI with a low tech tank. EI keeps the ferts up to keep up with CO2 and lighting driving growth.

Your tank looks great. What is the lighting? Tom Barr has a once weekly dosing regimen he recommends I will be following with my low tech tank. Your tank looks awesome!!!

Thank you! The lighting is one of those 185w LED black boxes from eBay. I'm only running one channel on the light (50% of the leds) at 50% power. I've installed different LED's to give it a better spectrum for the plants as the original spectrum was designed more for corals.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiro View Post
The info in this link is from 2005 so changes could have been made since then.

Non CO2 methods - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Thank you for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willcooper View Post
Nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you sir!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 04:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd go with your excel dosing or use metricide as a long term alternative. Other than that, minimal dosing. Instead of daily EI, maybe once a week. Look for deficiencies and dose based on that. That's a heck of a carpet for a low tech tank.
Alf2Frankie and Alf2Frankie like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-27-2017, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Didn't you dry start this tank? Based on what the tank looks like (great) it seems you want the look of high tech tank but you want you keep it low tech. Your going to have trouble doing that. I have a feeling you might not be able to maintain the looks of this tank, especially the monte carlo without C02. I agree about going lite on the ferts like other have said due to your soil. You might be able to maintain the tank if your double dose Excel. I use Metricide personally.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendust111 View Post
Didn't you dry start this tank? Based on what the tank looks like (great) it seems you want the look of high tech tank but you want you keep it low tech. Your going to have trouble doing that. I have a feeling you might not be able to maintain the looks of this tank, especially the monte carlo without C02. I agree about going lite on the ferts like other have said due to your soil. You might be able to maintain the tank if your double dose Excel. I use Metricide personally.
Yes I did dry start this tank.

I was under the impression that Monte Carlo was one of the easier to grow carpeting plants and could be maintained in a low tech tank?

Maybe I should look into running co2 just for the sake of keeping the carpet healthy and pretty. I think I will try the Barr method linked above with the once a week dosing method and see how the plants do on that for a little and if need be add co2 if health starts to decline.

Thanks for the info. My main goal is really to just maintain the look of the tank, I don't really care for rapid growth or anything I just want to maintain healthy plants even if they grow really slow.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have never used soil but you might be ok. I saw on another thread that you are using a Chinese black box and those put out a lot of light. My guess is you are going to end up with an algae fest without co2. Typically with a lot of light plants grow fast and outcompete algae. I understand your ok with slower growth but that give plants more time to accumulate algae.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode