Help with my Water Parameters Please - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with my Water Parameters Please

So for those of you that have not seen I have a GH of 6 but even with this GH my Ca,Mg levels are extremely low. Ca is 10 and Mg is 4. So this of course is not good for plants and using tap water my plants were showing the low Ca,Mg deficiencies. Now I am trying to get it high enough to not have a problem with the plants but also do not want to cause a problem for the fish and all. Im running high tech and co2 is 35ppm by lights on with high light 60ish par at substrate and full EI Ferts. So I got some GH Booster(NilocG) so what I did was add 4 dGH which adds this to my levels.

Gh Booster=4 Tablespoons=(Ca:21,K:41,Mg:4.3) dGH+4

I also added CaSO4=3 Tablespoons=(Ca:30) dGH+4
And I also added MgSO4=2 Tablespoons=(Mg:14) dGH+3.

Now I didnt want to add to much just GH booster because that is too much K and would put me WAY out of the 3:3:1 of Ca:K:Mg. That is why I added just the Ca and Mg.

The problem is it put my GH at 19.

Oh I forgot to add I did pretty much a 100% WC today because I wanted to get everything reset so I can set a TDS baseline. My tap TDS is 51. TDS in tank after 100% wc was 105. And after adding all the booster and ca and mg it put my tds up to 352.

So by adding all the stuff that got me these levels. Ca=60,K=62,Mg=22. That was as close to the 3:3:1 ratio I could figure. Am I right in what I am doing here? I know you should not add these to water unless needed and well in my case they are because there just isnt enough Ca and Mg in my tap. Is there a better way to go about doing this? RO is out of the question as I cannot get a RO unit at this time. My wife today chewed me out for how much I have spent already so will be a while before I can get a RO unit if that is the best way.

What are your thoughts? I want the best for my plants that they will have no Ca and Mg deficiencies and no problems for my livestock either. Help

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Swear I am doing the opposite(RO+tap mixing) and looking for a better outcome. LOL Now I need Ca and Mg test kits? dGH 20, dKH 10. Hope you find your answer.

I should be reading the Fertilizers and Water Parameters forum

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode