4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Water testing Help!?

Hi all,

After the sudden death of a shrimp I've decided to invest in a water testing kit/strip, but with so many out there what should i go for?

Don't wanna spend too much its only a small tank. Also i live in the Uk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

I am new also to the shrimping set up... but what i have seen here and from reviewing a lot of information...

Stay away from the strips... They seem to be not as accurate as the drops (maybe something to do with age/drying out?)

API makes a nice Master test kit for about $25 which does pH, Nitrites, nitrates, and a couple other (it is a 5 in one)
Also, a TDS (total Dissolved Solids) meter (I just ordered one from amazon for about $8 for the Digital readout) Mind you, see what it measures as well... NaCl / Natural water ect... there was a good video on YouTube explaining what it is and what it does.

And then the GH Kh tester (again it runs under $10).
And of course a thermometer (the TDS tester often does temp as well)...

Also, there are several excellent websites you can check... just search for Freshwater Shrimp Guide 101
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

From South East Pennsylvania
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

With shrimp you will probably want ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, GH, KH, PH. Just make sure what you buy is not expired and you should be good. I prefer the liquid test kits personally I find them easier to read and you get a crap ton more tests out of them.

Added: I use this one but its not the cheapest I can say that: https://www.amazon.com/Nutrafin-Mast.../dp/B0002568FO

Dan
Shadelin and Shadelin like this.

Last edited by Dman911; 04-24-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: Added

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

... and ... I may be wrong... I will watch this post for more activity to see if there is better items out there.
This is just what i have read on various sites / messages here and on alot... ALOT of other sites.
And, depending on the type of shrimp you have, it could be any number of issues...

From South East Pennsylvania
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

They're Red cherry shrimp. I originally had 4 then 1 died. Then i purchased 10 more and have a feeing this latest one was from the first batch...
ive read a mix opinions online regards to some of the test strips looks like imma go for a kit

Anyone tested the Dennerle test strips ? I know the liquid tests are better but i only have a small 27 l tank?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-25-2017 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_C View Post
Anyone tested the Dennerle test strips ? I know the liquid tests are better but i only have a small 27 l tank?

As long as they are not expired they should get you in the ball park.

Dan
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman911 View Post
As long as they are not expired they should get you in the ball park.

Dan

Thanks a bunch. I'll go for test strips for now

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You're thinking backwards when it comes to testing requirements and tank size. Smaller tanks have more rapid and severe swings with water parameters. As an example, I would test the parameters in a 5 gallon shrimp tank weekly, while I might only test a 250g once every few months.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellopuddinpop View Post
You're thinking backwards when it comes to testing requirements and tank size. Smaller tanks have more rapid and severe swings with water parameters. As an example, I would test the parameters in a 5 gallon shrimp tank weekly, while I might only test a 250g once every few months.

Completely agree with you there. Im aiming for a bare minimal water change tank. So as long as i dont make any drastic changes it should be fine with test strips.

How about this http://www.pro-shrimp.co.uk/pond-car...615035834.html

Then that only leaves ammonia that is untested for. Surely if i had an ammonia problem they would all die anyway ?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-25-2017 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:36 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Not to be argumentative, but what's the problem with just buying the liquid test kits? They're more accurate, and they cost less in the long run. Win-win in my book.

If you ever think you're too small to make a difference, spend a couple of nights sleeping with a mosquito.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
Not to be argumentative, but what's the problem with just buying the liquid test kits? They're more accurate, and they cost less in the long run. Win-win in my book.

I understand you're point but unfortunately no kit unless i pay 60 has everything. Also i dont think i'll be using it as often, so il assuming the test strips do just as well and are cheaper.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What about this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...9FL&ref=plSrch

Then all you will need is the gh/Kh test for like $10.

post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
What about this one?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00...9FL&ref=plSrch

Yeah thats an alternative to the strip one i have mentioned above. However this one doesnt measure chlorine. Are both important to measure ?

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You don't need to worry about chlorine. If you have municipal water, treat it with Prime before adding to your tank. That is the only source of chlorine you should ever have.

Also, by the time you would have enough chlorine or chloramine in your tank to test, all of your livestock would be dead or dying.

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-25-2017, 01:05 AM Thread Starter
H_C
Algae Grower

Quote:
You don't need to worry about chlorine. If you have municipal water, treat it with Prime before adding to your tank. That is the only source of chlorine you should ever have.

Also, by the time you would have enough chlorine or chloramine in your tank to test, all of your livestock would be dead or dying.

If thats the case then i'll bite the bullet and get the master test kit but Isnt that the same for ammonia ? Or even most of the things you test for?

Apologies if some of these questions basic, im a new to this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode