I just dont understand...need help - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By MCFC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just dont understand...need help

I had a female Bosemani rainbow that got a bacteria infection on both side of her body and she also had fin rot. I treated the whole tank with Melafix for over a week than some people on here told me to try seachem kanaplex or neoplex. I treated my tank with kanaplex 2-3 days before she passed. Now I think 2 of my american flagfish appear to have popeye and looks like all my female bosemani rainbow fish have white on their upper lip. I'm going to do a 40 to 50% water change every other day and treat the tank with kanaplex every other day also.

My tank is 60 gallons heavy stock and heavy plant load. Filters - FX4 and Eheim 2217
Ph- 6.4
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 0ppm
Kh-2

I do a 50% water change every tuesday and clean filter with tank water every 4 weeks.

Even my son loves fish tanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
0 Nitrate? That's pretty odd. Are you using the API liquid test? If so, are you smashing Bottle #2 around until it just about breaks? If it's heavily stocked you should be showing some nitrates.
Dman911 and Dman911 like this.

Blue Moon Rising!!!

My Journal -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Retired)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are times when we may look at a problem and not really see it. I might see the nitrate reading as missing some but not enough to be a true death cause.
Are you familiar with the fish types you have to tell how they might be acting versus a normal healthy tank? What I might look for is not so much a bad water situation as you seem to know about how to cover that end. I might wonder about stress in heavy stock tank.
I feel fish will do some strange things when they tend to feel too cramped, even when it doesn't lead to water problems. If you see actions like hiding or standing in the corner out of sight, look at overcrowding as a potential problem.
If you've ever lived in a barracks , etc. with 50-60 other folks around, you know what I mean. It may not kill you directly but you come out feeling nearly dead. Fish stress can come from different things and it can lead to disease.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCFC View Post
0 Nitrate? That's pretty odd. Are you using the API liquid test? If so, are you smashing Bottle #2 around until it just about breaks? If it's heavily stocked you should be showing some nitrates.
Yes I use the API liquid test kit. I did a 30% water change tonight and a 50% two days ago. I beat the crap out of Nitrate bottle #2 and now they're might be a slight orange tint to the test tube. No more than 5ppm.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
There are times when we may look at a problem and not really see it. I might see the nitrate reading as missing some but not enough to be a true death cause.
Are you familiar with the fish types you have to tell how they might be acting versus a normal healthy tank? What I might look for is not so much a bad water situation as you seem to know about how to cover that end. I might wonder about stress in heavy stock tank.
I feel fish will do some strange things when they tend to feel too cramped, even when it doesn't lead to water problems. If you see actions like hiding or standing in the corner out of sight, look at overcrowding as a potential problem.
If you've ever lived in a barracks , etc. with 50-60 other folks around, you know what I mean. It may not kill you directly but you come out feeling nearly dead. Fish stress can come from different things and it can lead to disease.
Thanks for your reply Rich. None of the fish are hiding or hanging out in the corner of the tank. The Bosemani Rainbows are in the front center and at feeding time attack the food along with the other fish. The tank isnt lfs stocked but according to aquadvisor it is overstocked. Can the sick female Bosemani get the other fish sick?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Once you have used the nitrate #2 bottle without beating it around, the concentration of solids to water in the bottle is off and it might as well be discarded for a new bottle.

Eheim Pimp Club - Member 468 (2217)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So daily eveyday or everyother day water changes and kanaplex is the way to go?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 01:59 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have no idea if you can get a hold of it in the US. But eSHa Exit and eSHa 2000, is the only medicine I ever needed. Over the last 10-12 years I had fish I had Ick, different fungus's, parasites, fin rot and pop-eye (this is more a symptom than actual disease though). Cleared them all. And It doesn't harm your filter bacteria at all or fauna, only thing to be mindful of is eSHa 2000 and shrimp as it contains some copper. You can even use them both at the same time to cover all bases, and is actually recommended to do so unless you are 100% sure what the fish have. Not sure if this is just a statement to make more money though, but it works well. Luckily I haven't needed to use them in years, knock on wood. But I still have a bottle of each, just in case.

WC is never a bad thing as long as the water is pretty closely matched to the tank water. The more the merrier, every other day should be fine though imo. Just make sure to add more medicine to get the levels where they need to be according to directions again.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 08:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakian View Post
I have no idea if you can get a hold of it in the US. But eSHa Exit and eSHa 2000, is the only medicine I ever needed. Over the last 10-12 years I had fish I had Ick, different fungus's, parasites, fin rot and pop-eye (this is more a symptom than actual disease though). Cleared them all. And It doesn't harm your filter bacteria at all or fauna, only thing to be mindful of is eSHa 2000 and shrimp as it contains some copper. You can even use them both at the same time to cover all bases, and is actually recommended to do so unless you are 100% sure what the fish have. Not sure if this is just a statement to make more money though, but it works well. Luckily I haven't needed to use them in years, knock on wood. But I still have a bottle of each, just in case.

WC is never a bad thing as long as the water is pretty closely matched to the tank water. The more the merrier, every other day should be fine though imo. Just make sure to add more medicine to get the levels where they need to be according to directions again.
Thanks I ordered both!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode