Started dosing only last week (I know, I know) ... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Started dosing only last week (I know, I know) ...

Is it normal for starved plants to soak up the 3 macros like crazy while you're trying to get a fert scheme in place? I think I already know the answer, but wanted some affirmation.

Oh, and there's no way I'll continue with Seachem when the plants soak this stuff up so readily. Greg Watson, here I come!

Thanks,

John

John P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
well, first you better confirm that the test kits are working properly. The best way to do it is to measure a known stock solution. Sometimes faulty test kits may lead to overdose of macros, I was a victim of that when I started.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2004, 07:00 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by John P.
Is it normal for starved plants to soak up the 3 macros like crazy[...]
Got any numbers? You need to be careful to jump to conclusions. While high-light, densely planted and CO2 saturated tanks can go through a lot of nutrients (which you will notice when pruning several pounds of plants weekly), in a more normal environment you should not keep adding macros to try and satisfy your testkits.

Potassium is difficult to measure, adding too much will lead to problems just as not adding any.

Phosphate can be absorbed by certain substrates and if you add and add and add all of a sudden you end up with astronomical numbers because it started to leach out from whereever it was bound to.

On the other hand, like you said using the Seachem line gets you to bankrupcy quickly, using bulk fertilizers is a more economical way to go.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
Got any numbers?
Yes, thanks, here they are:

11/01/04:
Dosed:
Potassium 3 mL
Nitrogen 1.25mL
Phosphorous 1 mL
11/02's test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

11/02/04:
Dosed:
Potassium 3 mL
Nitrogen 1.25mL
Phosphorous 1 mL
11/02's 2nd test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0

11/02/04:
Dosed:
Potassium 3 mL
Nitrogen 1.25mL
Phosphorous 1 mL
11/02's 3rd test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1

11/03/04:
Dosed:
Potassium 3 mL
Nitrogen 1.25mL
Phosphorous 1 mL
11/03s test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1

11/05's test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate 0
Then Dosed:
Potassium 6 mL
Nitrogen 2.5 mL
Phosphorous 2 mL

11/06's test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1
Then Dosed:
Potassium 6 mL
Nitrogen 2.5 mL
Phosphorous 2 mL

11/07's test results:
Nitrate 0
Phosphate .1

I'm using Red Sea Phosphate and AP Nitrate kits, both new.

John P.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What's the equivalent PPM of nutrients you are dosing? Not familiar with concentration of Flourish line of nutrients.

AP nitrate kit needs very violent shaking on the Reagent#2. I couldn't get much reading the first few tests. It is easy to make a solution of 10ppm NO3 and measure it to confirm the test kit results.

Flourite, wet/dry, AHSupply 302w PC, PinPoint controller

15w T6+15w T8

40w T6 ODNO4x, no CO2. Discus grow out.
10gallon Tonina tank, 2x15w T6 ODNO 4x
---------------------
I will do aquascapes after I collect all the plant species and grow them to perfection.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 03:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'm not sure about the dosing strength of Seachem NPK but if you dose according to the direction, I think there is something wrong with this picture. A couple of my very high light tanks soak up nutrients like crazy but it takes 3 days to bottom out N and P. The thirsty one absorb about 7-10ppm Nitrate in 3 days and 0.75-1ppm of P.

The other possibility is that the Seachem solution is very mild and don't increase those macro level by much at all

Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I think the problem is that these Flourish products aren't very concentrated. For instance, the Nitrogen label says that 2.5 mL of product in 40 gallons raises nitrogen by the same degree that 1 mg/L nitrate would.

The Potassium says to add 5 mL of product raises potassium by 2 mg/L. Even with ~23 gallons of water in my 26-G, that's a lot of product!

Essentially the directions seem to suggest dosing in levels much lower than what serious setups (light, Co2) require.

John P.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2004, 06:10 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
N and especially K macros are not that easily dissolved, so the concentration isn't going to be high. Like you noticed, you will run out of Seachem K with just a few dosings. Much better to buy the powder.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode