NilocG EI dosing question - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
NilocG EI dosing question

Hey everyone I have a question, maybe you guys can offer an answer since there is so much knowledge on this forum. I ordered NilocG micro and macro ferts. I also got the GH booster and iron. i understand that following the dosing method you alternate the ferts for 6 days then perform a 50% water change on the 7th day. Now my question is, on the 7th day.. does one simply perform a water change and call it a day? Then proceed with the dosing schedule on the following day? Or do I dose something in specific on that 7th day post water change?

*ei

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-07-2017 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
On the 7th day we rest. To answer your question on the 7th day no ferts. Gh booster after water change if you have soft water. The purpose of the 7th day is to get the excess nutrients out of the water column so when you start dosing again you don't have nutrients build up in your tank.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tony View Post
On the 7th day we rest. To answer your question on the 7th day no ferts. Gh booster after water change if you have soft water. The purpose of the 7th day is to get the excess nutrients out of the water column so when you start dosing again you don't have nutrients build up in your tank.

That's what I was inferring. Thank you for assuring me! My GH is rather hard but I will be switching over to ada Amazonia and ro water(of course dosing the ro to restore) so I'm sure I'll need the GH booster.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 08:19 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnalp View Post
That's what I was inferring. Thank you for assuring me! My GH is rather hard but I will be switching over to ada Amazonia and ro water(of course dosing the ro to restore) so I'm sure I'll need the GH booster.
I have also heard that GH booster won't raise your dGH too much so you can still add it for Magnesium and Calcium which plants need even if you have hard water. I think it would be a good assumption if you have hard water that you are getting adequate calcium and Mg already though. So it is up to you. I use the same NiloCG products you use and absolutely love them.
clownplanted and clownplanted like this.

Don't complicate things, simplify them!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2017, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tony View Post
I have also heard that GH booster won't raise your dGH too much so you can still add it for Magnesium and Calcium which plants need even if you have hard water. I think it would be a good assumption if you have hard water that you are getting adequate calcium and Mg already though. So it is up to you. I use the same NiloCG products you use and absolutely love them.

Are you running co2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Agree with everything @"Tampa Tony" said. 7th day is to clear out any excess nutrients since most do a 50% WC that still leaves some left. I have medium/hard water and use the GH booster. Day after WC my plants absolutely pearl hard. I also use the NilocG ferts and love them. My plants say they work great.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Agree with everything @"Tampa Tony" said. 7th day is to clear out any excess nutrients since most do a 50% WC that still leaves some left. I have medium/hard water and use the GH booster. Day after WC my plants absolutely pearl hard. I also use the NilocG ferts and love them. My plants say they work great.

Are you running co2?

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Are you running co2?

Yes running pressurized co2 in my 60 gallon. I do the recomended EI dosing according to the schedule on their site. 3 days micros, 3 days macros each week then day 7 no ferts. Seems to work really good.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

NilocG EI dosing question

Do you dose extra iron? I have some high light plants In my nano... figured they would need it. Ordered a regulator from Alan and a co2 5lb tank coming from amazon...

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Do you dose extra iron? I have some high light plants In my nano... figured they would need it. Ordered a regulator from Alan and a co2 5lb tank coming from amazon...

Nope just the regular EI recommended. It would not hurt if you feel you need to dose a little extra. This is why the 50% Weekly water change is so important as over dosing a bit does not really hurt. I got the NilocG EI pre mixed micro/macro packets so I pretty much cannot change individual doses(Did not get the extra iron). But I do have a bottle of Seachem Iron if ever needed. But so far have not needed since going EI. Have a very large trim coming up this weekend. Plants really took off this week.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownplanted View Post
Nope just the regular EI recommended. It would not hurt if you feel you need to dose a little extra. This is why the 50% Weekly water change is so important as over dosing a bit does not really hurt. I got the NilocG EI pre mixed micro/macro packets so I pretty much cannot change individual doses(Did not get the extra iron). But I do have a bottle of Seachem Iron if ever needed. But so far have not needed since going EI. Have a very large trim coming up this weekend. Plants really took off this week.

How long have you been dosing his ferts?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 05:02 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
How long have you been dosing his ferts?

2 weeks so far.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Algae Grower

I dose

MACROS - Sun, Tues, Thurs

MICROS - Mon, Wed, Fri.

I dont do anything on Saturday. I do my water changes on Sunday with RO water, mix up some GH Booster, along with my macros.

Ive changed my schedule though, but I only cut back on dosing (BBA issues) so currently only doing 4x a week.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshestemo412 View Post
I dose

MACROS - Sun, Tues, Thurs

MICROS - Mon, Wed, Fri.

I dont do anything on Saturday. I do my water changes on Sunday with RO water, mix up some GH Booster, along with my macros.

Ive changed my schedule though, but I only cut back on dosing (BBA issues) so currently only doing 4x a week.

RO + macros + GH booster? That's all that you add? I've been looking into switching over to ro and I've seen people add power like stuff. I'm assuming macros is the same?

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017, 06:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
RO + macros + GH booster? That's all that you add? I've been looking into switching over to ro and I've seen people add power like stuff. I'm assuming macros is the same?

RO is devoid of minerals, so you have to add them back. Generally, this gives us better control for things like shrimp.

GH booster adds back calcium and magnesium. Macros will be Nitrates​, Phosphates, and Potassium - and I don't believe most city tap water contains those though some tap and well water do contain nitrates.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode