Low TDS but high KH/GH? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low TDS but high KH/GH?

Hello all, I am new to the forums, though I've been reading them for quite some time.

My first question is one I can't seem to find addressed here, or on any other site: does TDS matter if the GH and KH are in a good range?

My SoCal tap is around 180 TDS from the faucet, with a KH of 11, and a GH of 12, and a pH of 7.5.

Ideally, I'd like to reduce both KH and GH to half, or a quarter of their current values, because I'd like to keep a cherry shrimp tank. I've been experimenting with cutting my tap water with distilled water 50/50, which does indeed reduce both the GH and KH by half (while maintaining the same pH), but also takes my water down to a puny 90 TDS.

From what I've read, the majority of concern over TDS numbers have to do with whether the KH and GH numbers are sufficient, not necessarily the remaining dissolved solids? So then, does it matter that my TDS is only 90? Does it matter that my tank is planted, in terms of nutrients the plants might need as well?

Most people I see with higher GH and KH numbers also have TDS in the 300+ range, so my tap's numbers are kind of throwing my understanding for a loop. Any help in this area would be appreciated! Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I am also new to all this stuff, but I am working on it..

I know depending on your TDS, it could be reading NaCl, or a few other things... Check what your TDS actually measures then check for what the parameters are needed...

I just found this little chart last night so I will include it for ya...

Also, I think there is a Seachem equalizer that works to help... but you would want to look up that specifically since there are a few different types... Replenish, Equalizer, ect...
Attached Images

From South East Pennsylvania
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by headfangs View Post
Ideally, I'd like to reduce both KH and GH to half, or a quarter of their current values, because I'd like to keep a cherry shrimp tank.
I can't honestly even tell you what my TDS is, but fwiw, I keep several types of neos in water with a GH of 8-9 and a KH of 19. They do just fine. As long as you aren't trying to keep crystals, I think you're ok without messing with anything.

Tags
tds, tds meter, water parameters

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode