German Blue Ram acting strange after I dosed tank with CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
German Blue Ram acting strange after I dosed tank with CO2

Hi guys,

I just recently started getting back into real plants (I've had my tank established for 4 years). I previously failed because I didn't have the right lighting on my aquarium.

Anyways-- I added a dose of co2 yesterday (Flourish) and I noticed today my German Blue Ram hasn't been moving much. He's breathing heavy and he didn't eat when I fed my fish today. He just recently started swimming up top and that raised a huge red flag because I've lost my previous fish right after they started swimming on the upper levels.

I was doing some research and I've seen that adding co2 can definitely alter the pH levels. My question is can counter the co2 dose if I just dose the entire tank with Prime. Would that reverse the pH levels back to normal?

My 55 Gallon Planted Tank -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Excel is not co2, it is glutaraldehyde, a chemical that plants can use as a carbon source, but it is a far cry from the real thing. Excel does not change ph in any way, glutaraldehyde is a strong chemical, how much did you dose, and what size tank?

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:13 AM
Banned

agree with @sohankpatel

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:14 AM
Algae Grower

Lmao!!!!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Prime is a water diclorinator!! Honestly lmao

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-31-2017 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

@jsankey88
Hey, he's obviously new, how about being helpful?

A 17-year old that faces parental opposition in this hobby

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

Sorry. I shoulda thought about reading the bottle first :-)

311418 and 311418 like this.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 08:53 AM
Planted Member

If you dosed Seachem excel, even up to 5x higher than indicated, it should not cause issues with fishes.

That being said, Seachem Excel, and the common Glutaraldehyde at 1.5% is a strong chemical. At higher concentrations it is used as a sterilisation chemical, e.g. Metricide.

I would advise to keep using it as instructed in the bottle, 1ml to 50l if I am not mistaken. In this concentration, Glutaraldehyde acts as a source of carbon, in the form photosynthetic intermediates.

Also, unless you know what you are doing, do not "spot-dose". You do not want it concentrated in one spot, except certain occasions, e.g. treating algae.

Do not get discouraged by harsh comments. We are all learning. Keep the ego down and you will be amazed how far you can go

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:10 PM
nel
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually in the first post there is written that it wasn't excel, it was flourish, which even isn't glutaraldehyde, it's mostly micro (and it definitely has nothing to do with CO2). It shouldn't harm fish even overdosed a bit.
Probably something else is happening to this ram.

- 120x48x60 cm

- 30x30x30 cm + 30x30x20 cm,
- 33x21x22 cm
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the feedback guys. And yeah I'm new to the forums just signed up. I haven't had the chance to make my intro yet, I'll be making one sometime later today. I just had this small issue yesterday and wanted to get some quick answers/help. Anyways... the little guy didn't make it. I've read as well that GBRs in general are very sensitive to maintain. I'll have to check on somethings before I get another one.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel View Post
Actually in the first post there is written that it wasn't excel, it was flourish, which even isn't glutaraldehyde, it's mostly micro (and it definitely has nothing to do with CO2). It shouldn't harm fish even overdosed a bit.
Probably something else is happening to this ram.
By his explanation "I added a dose of co2 (flourish)", most of us understood Seachem Flourish Excel, which is the product's full name. I would think this is much more likely to be what he meant.

The OP of course can clarify it. Regardless of that, both products are completely fine.

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
@JSAnkey lmao you have to put some down on a fish forum to feel good about yourself. Grow up and try to be helpful, if not just keep your degrading comments to your self.

Diego rams are pretty sensitive. That being said if you put excel or any plant ferts in rams should fine. I have done heavy doses of Excel to fight algae, I have dosed EI ferts, I also do pressurized co2 with all that my rams breed like crazy.

I have a few questions. Where did you get the ram? How long was it in the water? What are your water parameters? Answering these questions will help us help you figure out what's going on. Don't give up rams are a wonderful fish.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've ALWAYS had issues w/ Rams, regardless of acclimation process and having pristine water quality. Welcome to the forum:-)

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
OP say's tank has been running for 4 yrs and Ram just recently started acting hinckey after Excel dose.
If they have had the ram for some time,it may be older fish that was just old.
They have relatively short life span of around 3 yrs
Some being sold could be close to two or three yrs when purchased.
Just a thought.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed.junior View Post
By his explanation "I added a dose of co2 (flourish)", most of us understood Seachem Flourish Excel, which is the product's full name. I would think this is much more likely to be what he meant.

The OP of course can clarify it. Regardless of that, both products are completely fine.

Sorry for the confusion... "Seachem Flourish" is the exact name, however it doesn't say on the bottle anywhere that it is Excel. Here's the product

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackariah View Post
Diego rams are pretty sensitive. That being said if you put excel or any plant ferts in rams should fine. I have done heavy doses of Excel to fight algae, I have dosed EI ferts, I also do pressurized co2 with all that my rams breed like crazy.

I have a few questions. Where did you get the ram? How long was it in the water? What are your water parameters? Answering these questions will help us help you figure out what's going on. Don't give up rams are a wonderful fish.

I got the rams from a Pet Supermarket, about a month ago. He was fine, but then suddenly started acting odd. I did do a little bit of research and I understand more about Rams now.. it sounds like most big box stores sell genetically modified rams from Asia. I guess I'll just have to find a more reliable source/breeder. And I've tried many rams in the past 4 years. I've went thrua lot of GBRs and Electric Blues... definitely don't want to give up on them because they're awesome looking fish, I just want to learn how to actually have them last longer than a month. I keep my temperature at 80 F, ammonia, ph, nitrate/nitirites are good as well. I see other people here coming up with an exact # for their water levels, I'm not quite sure how to do that. I just use the 5-1 test kit strips and I get my results but they're color coded not numerical lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leemacnyc View Post
I've ALWAYS had issues w/ Rams, regardless of acclimation process and having pristine water quality. Welcome to the forum:-)
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobriley2345 View Post
First off, Mikrogeophagus Ramirezi is delicate to poor water quality and/or lack of a varied diet. It is imperitive (in order to have success) that you source rams from the proper breeders or people who have lots of expertise with the fish as they truly CARE. The majority of rams in the trade are imported from Asia and other countries where hormones and other unnatural treatments are used in order to cause spawning. This can cause long term issues with a fish. You seem to say that the ram seemed sick after dosing flourish, and if this is the case, I would refrain from dosing any more into the tank any time soon.

In the meantime, do a large water change, I would do 50%, and try to feed. If it is still accepting food, you should be fine. If he doesn't, you might have a problem!

Pics would be great!

@Coralbandit can help!
Thank you so much for that! I actually posted an "Introduction" post but I don't think the moderators have gotten around to approving it. None the less here are some pics of my setup right now. (Partial-real plants considering I'm waiting to upgrade my lighting before I go full plants)

And yeah, I was doing research on GBRs genetically modified coming from Asia. I gotta figure out a reliable breeder or supplier then. Definitely wana get another one since this one kicked the bucket. :X

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
OP say's tank has been running for 4 yrs and Ram just recently started acting hinckey after Excel dose.
If they have had the ram for some time,it may be older fish that was just old.
They have relatively short life span of around 3 yrs
Some being sold could be close to two or three yrs when purchased.
Just a thought.
Yup, I've had the tank established for 4 years but I've gone through different phases of fish along the way. The ram I had just gotten maybe about a month ago from Pet Supermarket, so he could've just coincidentially died after I added Flourish. I was just thinking maybe that could've been a cause, based of all these informative replies, sounds like we can rule that out tho.

Bump: Okay... so I just found out how to attach images to my post lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2362.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	739402  

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	739410  

Name:	IMG_2346.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	739418  

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	739426  

Name:	IMG_2366.jpg
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	739434  

Name:	IMG_2367.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	739442  

Name:	IMG_2363.jpg
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	739450  

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	739458  

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
Check aqua bid or look up coral bandit here on TPT (also sells on aqua bid.) I got rams from him and I'm very pleased. I recomend getting several. Then you will see there personality come out as the compete for territory and females. They may even spawn for you. Just do what you have been doing and ask questions. As far as getting a better idea of your parameters. Get a master test kit. It will give you a better idea of what your water is.
I still don't think it was the flourish that killed your fish unless you poured in waaaay too much. Could be a variety of things.

One past thing do some research here on what aquatic plants basic needs are. It will help you out alot. Oh and ditch the plastic plants. lol (little sand lot reference) pick up some plants here in the Tradewinds you can get just about any plant you want. Most people are very nice and you can get great prices. Good luck and feel free to pm me any question I'm always willing to help a newbie.

Tags
co2, flourish, german blue ram, ph levels, prime

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode