Can osmocote be released into water column like Flourish? - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By clownplanted
  • 2 Post By Willcooper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can osmocote be released into water column like Flourish?

I have a 12 gallon long tank completely filled with plants.
  • 40% of the tank is filled with pellia moss
  • 7 giant stalks of lucky bamboo (12-18 inches)
  • a giant golden pothos growing at one end with over 40 leaves (roots in water leaves out of water).

None of these plants are rooted into the substrate (I only have a tiny thin layer of fine gravel for aesthetics).

I'm currently dosing liquid Seachem Flourish twice a week. But I think the pothos can eat up lots more nutrients.

I recently purchased Osmocote in capsule form from eBay. Can I just drop the capsule into the water? I could try putting it into the substrate but realistically the substrate is so thin there's no way it will stay put (plus I have corries).

Will the osmocote kill my fish? They are kind of small pellets so I can see my fish trying to eat it. If you think I can do this, should I open up a capsule and spread it around the tank, or should I drop the capsule in the middle of the tank and hope for the best?

60 gallon (12.75"L x 48.5"W x 25" H) tank. 48" Planted Plus on between 7 am-12 pm and 4-9 pm. Aquaclear 110. Very hard water. High Alkaline. No current throughout tank .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
You really do not want to do that. It is meant to be in the substrate. Remember the stuff is timed release so really would not have the same effect just releasing in water using as a liquid fert. To be honest a much better solution would be using NilocG EI ferts. Just need to dose once a day and would give them all the nutrients they need. It could definitely be dangerous if a fish were to eat one mistaking it for food. It's pretty strong stuff by itself in a tiny pebble so am sure it would do damage if eaten. This is why they suggest to bury as deep in substrate as possible at least 2" deep.

The nilocG diy liquid fert has all the micro and macro they would need and would not do damage. Just dose the micro on one day and macro on other day each 3 times per week. What I am about to be using

I am using the Osmocote plus in capsules but buried between 2"-3" deep and only for my root feeders. All others get liquid ferts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
p2002 and p2002 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would suggest long term getting a better fert system but osmocote+ is a little ball of some kind dipped in fertilizer. So the little balls will never go away. The fertilizer on them simply releases into the substrate (where people usually put them). Regardless of where you put it it will end up in the water column all the same. Just because the substrate seems like a barrier, it's not. Water passes back and forth through the substrate. Just take the capsules and put them in the substrate to the glass. The cories shouldn't dig that deep. Your plants will benefit all the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
p2002 and p2002 like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode