I need some assistance please. Question about lowering my gh. - The Planted Tank Forum
 8Likes
  • 2 Post By elusive77
  • 4 Post By ed.junior
  • 2 Post By Attackturtle
  • 2 Post By GuppyFancier
  • 2 Post By natemcnutty
  • 4 Post By Zoidburg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
I need some assistance please. Question about lowering my gh.

How would I go about lowering my gh in my aquariums? right now its off the charts. Over 400 ppm. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Nine times out of ten it's a humbug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 AM
Planted Member

Is there a reason you need to lower it? I have over 400 ppm GH as well and all of my fish, shrimp, and plants do fine. That said, if you really need to lower it the only good way is to start with RO water. That means either buying it by the jug at a store for every water change, or purchasing a RO unit which can be pretty pricey.
GuppyFancier and GuppyFancier like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

I'm mainly worried about my CRS and neos my plants and fish are doing amazing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 07:56 AM
Planted Member

GH is basically a measure of divalent metal ions, mostly Ca++ and Mg++.

What you need is to remove that, and avoid adding it back. As mentioned above, RO water is the common way to go. It wastes some water and takes a while, but then you have very soft water, that needs to be remineralized, up to the desired levels.

I would only go for it if you are 100% sure. It is very straightforward, but does involve some effort.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 AM
Planted Member

Like others, I would be sure it is a problem before you fix it. Battling any parameter related to your base water makes keeping difficult and can set you up for swings in the future which can be worse than the symptom you were treating to begin with.
GuppyFancier and GuppyFancier like this.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attackturtle View Post
Like others, I would be sure it is a problem before you fix it. Battling any parameter related to your base water makes keeping difficult and can set you up for swings in the future which can be worse than the symptom you were treating to begin with.
Basically I have lost three of my CRS all SS grade no entry Hinomaru. Not bad but I don't like losing any of my shrimp.
Attackturtle and Attackturtle like this.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What are your other parameters other than GH? Ask because if you lower using RO you will want to ensure the other parameters are good and now too low

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 02:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Yeah, CRS don't do too well in water with a GH over 105ppm (roughly 6 dGH). The hardest part is that with a dGH of 22 like you have, you don't know how much of that is calcium.

For a smaller tank (20 gallon and under), I'd just go full RO and remineralize it to around 6 dGH. For anything larger, I'd mix your water with RO to hit around 105ppm

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Zoidburg and Zoidburg like this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 03:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

1.) Go out and purchase a tank to set up for your Crystal Shrimp (10 gallon preferably)
2.) Purchase a buffering substrate (SL-Aqua is a great price from Discobee! If in the USA!)
3.) Cycle tank with RO water and "pure" Ammonia (no detergents or dyes) - ~3-4 weeks
4.) Once tank is cycled, perform a 90 or 100% water change with RO water and a GH+ remineralizer
5.) Acclimate Crystal Shrimp to water

Neos are fine on plain sand and tap water. If you have hard tap water, then mix tap with RO (about 3.5-4 parts RO to 1 part tap) to get desirable parameters for them.

Make sure you have the following products:
API Freshwater Master Test Kit *OR* Sera Aqua-Test Set for Saltwater & Freshwater (does not include Nitrate test)
API GH & KH Test Kit *OR* Sera Aqua-Test Set for Saltwater & Freshwater
TDS Meter

At minimum, you only need 2 things, max 3.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode