• 2 Post By Mattb126
  • 2 Post By PlantedRich
  • 2 Post By Maryland Guppy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry fertilizer.

Any suggestions on dry fertilizer for my 20 g long? I have HC, Staurogyne Repens, Cyperus Helfeiri, X-mas moss, and some sort of sword. I'm running 1-2 bps pressurized Co2 for 9 hours per day. Lighting is Finnex planted +24/7. I have been dosing Seachem flourish once a week. I know little to nothing about fertilizing the planted tank. Question time. Do I need to be dosing macro and micro nutrients or could I slide by with the flourish? If I should be dosing both macro and micro, where should I get it from? What method of dosing would be recommended for someone with such little knowledge of the matter at hand?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

You have a great looking tank as is!! What do you feel needs improvement? I think it is lovely 😁

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Mdself94 and Mdself94 like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

http://nilocg.com/ei-based-npk-csm-b/

Also has all the information you need on his site.

As for dosing macros and micros over flourish, you need all 3 micros, micros and flourish for Trace elements.

Sent from my Moto Z using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Some easy answers but then some really hard ones as well!
How to start? I suggest doing some study on EI (estimative index) dosing as a pretty good place to start. As in most things, I find it is something to start with the stated amounts and then see if it can be tweaked a bit to get closer to what you want. It is more designed for use of dry ferts but that is the second point.
I do recommend using dry ferts for a couple reasons. One is the price as you are paying for the fert rather than the fert mixed in water!! It is really easy to stir the fert in a cup of water and dump it in or to mix a bunch and then add a portion of the mix. But for the fert premixed in the bottle, you do get some convenience but you are also getting to pay for really expensive water!
Some study is needed to decide which is right for you on the price/convenience point but then I find another reason to go dry. They don't spoil, last a long time and are easy to store but the biggie is that you are able to adapt it as needed. Too much nitrate in the tank and you may want to drop adding the potassium nitrate. With premixed, it's in the mix and you go with adding it when you add any other that you really need.
This is my personal choice for ferts at the best price and service I can find.
Dry Fertilizer | Aquarium Fertilizer
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics
Here is a good source for ferts.

Dosing Instructions
Dosing instructions for said ferts.

Need to choose between EI or PPS.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro
Link to Edwards PPS-Pro form of dosing.

Estimative Index - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report
Link to Tom's EI Dosing.

Flourish Comprehensive is not a one stop cure all dosing solution.
It only provides micros.
Macros are the largest volume consumed by aquatic plants, N,P, and K.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by adele54 View Post
You have a great looking tank as is!! What do you feel needs improvement? I think it is lovely

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks! It's my first planted tank, I love it! I just want to be sure I'm giving my plants everything they need is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
EI based NPK + CSM+B - NilocG Aquatics

Here is a good source for ferts.

Dosing Instructions

Dosing instructions for said ferts.

Need to choose between EI or PPS.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquati...r/home/pps-pro

Link to Edwards PPS-Pro form of dosing.

Estimative Index - Aquarium Plants - Barr Report

Link to Tom's EI Dosing.

Flourish Comprehensive is not a one stop cure all dosing solution.

It only provides micros.

Macros are the largest volume consumed by aquatic plants, N,P, and K.

Thanks! Everything I needed to know really. I figured the flourish wasn't gonna cut it.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-25-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Dry fertilizer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdself94 View Post
Thanks! It's my first planted tank, I love it! I just want to be sure I'm giving my plants everything they need is all.

Thanks! Everything I needed to know really. I figured the flourish wasn't gonna cut it.

Flourish is good but pricey. And you need more than just Flourish. You need Flourish iron, flourish pottasium, flourish nitrogen, flourish trace, flourish advance. Sure I missed one but you get the idea. I currently use Flourish and with good results. I follow their dosing guide they have. But it's MUCH more expensive because you are paying in a sense mostly for water. As soon as all my Flourish runs out I will be using the nilocG dry ferts that will be here tomorrow. Super easy to do. They have a diy dry fert package that gives you two dosing bottles. A pre mixed packet of the micro ferts you simply mix in one bottle with 500 ml of RO water and a pre mixed packet of the macro ferts you mix in the other bottle with 500ml of water. Then you dose each one 3 times per week on alternating days. Very simple and gives you everything your plants will need. And MUCH cheaper than the seachem Flourish line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode