• 2 Post By RobnSonji
  • 10 Post By d33pVI
  • 4 Post By natemcnutty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Reducing nitrates - A new world

Hi guys,
So I'm coming from a long term marine keeper so for nitrate reduction we have numerous tools at hand (bio pellets, vodka, extra bio filtration)
Is having an oversized canister filter going to have an effect at reducing nitrates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Nope.The main way to reduce nitrates is water changes.however for plants,you do want to run some nitrates in freshwater tanks,and you generally always will.they don't become toxic to freshwater life until they are in very high concentrations.

MTS? no,I just need one more tank...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

I shoot for 10-20ppm Nitrates anything higher than 20ppm I do a water change accordingly and anything lower than 5 I add Kn03. Depending on your tank setup, lighting, co2?, substrate, plants, fish etc. you may have to add nitrates.

Just to touch on canister question. The nitrifying bacteria grow on the bio media in your filter (also your substrate rocks etc.). Providing you have enough media and flow to convert all of the ammonia and nitrites to nitrates anything past that will not make a difference other than creating flow and more space for bacteria to grow should your bio load increase. There are 2 ways (maybe more) nitrates will be removed from your tank water.
1. Water changes
2. Nutrient uptake by your plants.
If you have fast growing plants with high light and densely planted and small bioload chances are you will actually have to add nitrates.

Dan

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 01:53 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyking View Post
Hi guys,
So I'm coming from a long term marine keeper so for nitrate reduction we have numerous tools at hand (bio pellets, vodka, extra bio filtration)
Is having an oversized canister filter going to have an effect at reducing nitrates?

Well....since you are on a planted tank forum I am going to assume you have or will have live plants.

With plants you want some nitrates. I believe somewhere between 10-30 is fine.
If they build up more than that....you are adding them faster than the plants are consuming them. They get added to the system either directly via you adding ferts or indirectly in the form of fish food and the resulting fish waste.
Either find a way to add less nitrate to the system.....or add more fast growing plants.

Since you have kept reef tanks you probably know that some water even comes out of the tap with nitrates....
Kubla, Kubla, andyking and 1 others like this.

You know what makes me sad? YOU DO! ya jackwagon
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. The whole plant idea isn't a possibility as I hope to have a simple crystal shrimp set up with a few moss balls. That'll probably mean I'll go remineralized RO.

Tanks not set up yet as I'm just getting my bearings and reading before I buy filters.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. The whole plant idea isn't a possibility as I hope to have a simple crystal shrimp set up with a few moss balls. That'll probably mean I'll go remineralized RO.

Tanks not set up yet as I'm just getting my bearings and reading before I buy filters.
There are quite a few plants that shrimp would enjoy and are very low maintenance and will help a little with nitrates. I'm not a shrimp guy but a few are Java moss, water wisteria, vals and java fern. I would head over to the shrimp and inverts section and see what going on there.

Dan
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you want a no hassle nitrate sponge get some pistia plants or other floating. Well you have to remove them when they get too large or many, but the shrimps like to graze on the biofilm forming on the roots. They use atmospheric CO2 so they are not limited from this point of view.

In fresh water we are lucky that we have so many plants. In theory you can get reducing conditions in freshwater as well, mostly in the substrate but also in some types of filter media. But an anaerobic substrate is not good for shrimp and it would be a complication.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
andyking and andyking like this.

On hiatus till later this year
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I have a handful of orange ones but I dont really keep shrimp.

I will say that most every hardcore shrimp keeper Ive seen has lots of moss in their tanks.....there are several kinds of moss.
There are also things like duckweed....aka the herpes of aquariums lol....it grows and multiplies on the surface so quickly you have to scoop it and throw it away regularly.
Some shrimp keepers like subwassertang (sp?)
Maybe Riccia or watersprite

Any fast growing easy plant....let it consume nitrate and when it multiplies just throw it away. I chuck it in my compost or the wife houseplants lol

Go on Utube and look up L.R. Bretz and Flip Aquatics....they live stream all the time and answer questions
andyking and andyking like this.

You know what makes me sad? YOU DO! ya jackwagon
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking about duckweed as I've read all the reports of it reducing nitrates.

Once again, thanks everyone, you've given me some good reading and research material for the next week weeks.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:04 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
I was thinking about duckweed as I've read all the reports of it reducing nitrates.

Once again, thanks everyone, you've given me some good reading and research material for the next week weeks.
I personally don't like Duckweed because it quickly becomes a nuisance.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Hi guys,
Vodka?! How's that work? Do shots 'till you just don't care about nitrate anymore?

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (115/100%)
^^^^ Agreed. Red Root Floaters or something like them work well.

Clint

“Presents are the best way to show someone how much you care. It is like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars-worth.’” -Michael Scott

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Red root floater is a way better option.
Much easier to control their numbers.
I scoop several handfulls in the trash every month.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pVI View Post
Vodka?! How's that work? Do shots 'till you just don't care about nitrate anymore?
The de-nitrifying bacteria need a carbon source to process the nitrate, this carbon source boots the population of said bacteria, vodka just happens to cause to ill effects to fish or super sensitive corals.
Vinegar and sugar water can also be used, but who wants a shot of vinegar!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:

I have over a hundred CRS in this 20 gallon long, and this picture was right after I had done a trim of all my background plants. Please disregard all the weird projects I have going on in there...

I keep CO2 at 15 ppm, nitrates below 20 ppm, and TDS below 180 max (my water change indicator).

Crystals + plants can easily be done (and really should be done), but I would start with low demand plants like Java Fern, crypts, floaters, etc. to start.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode