hardness for anubias??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hardness for anubias???

I am using ro water to lower the ph until it reach 6.5-6.8 for my dwarf cichlids but I am sure the kh will going to be lower as well so I am wondering if that could be too soft for anubias?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 06:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

You can have Anubias at KH~0° dKH. That being said, in tank without CO2 injection they tend to do better when they can use the carbonates (KH) to get CO2. They are some of the few aquarium plants which can do this. A low GH (<3°dGH) would be more likely to cause problems.

If you plant to continue to use RO water to lower your KH, I would strongly recommend getting a GH and KH test.

On hiatus till later this year
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I have API kh test kit but I dont have the gh one but will purchase one soo . So dont never let the gh drop below 3?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Basically yes. It would be more safe with GH ~ 5. You can use a remineralizer product targeted for Crystal Red Shrimps, like Shrimp King GH+ or Salty shrimp. This will only increase your GH and not your KH.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi Cookie_discus,

Most Anubias species are terrestrial or semi-terrestrial growing along the waters' edge. That said they can be grown submerged without CO2 but they will grow more quickly with CO2. All plants need calcium and magnesium as nutrients for proper growth so some water hardness is necessary. I agree with dukydaf that a 5.0 dGH is probably a good target number; you should be able to grow both soft and harder water species with that amount of hardness.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok I will try stable the GH at 5 by mixing a little bit tap water with the ro water or I just get something like GH plus. Those GH plus they dont increase KH and PH? By the way I do have feed my fish once a day so do I need to add any nutrient on the side?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_discus View Post
Ok I will try stable the GH at 5 by mixing a little bit tap water with the ro water or I just get something like GH plus. Those GH plus they dont increase KH and PH? By the way I do have feed my fish once a day so do I need to add any nutrient on the side?
Shrimp King BeeSalt GH+ or SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ are designed for shrimps that also like KH~0 and a lower pH, thus they will be what you want.

On the nutrient side of things it is harder to answer. If the anubias and other slow growing plants ( java fern, bucephalandra etc.) are the only ones present in the aquarium and the light level is low,you can likely omit the extra fertilizer. A small dose of trace fertilizer with extra K (Potassium) once a week might be enough

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
Shrimp King BeeSalt GH+ or SaltyShrimp Bee Shrimp Mineral GH+ are designed for shrimps that also like KH~0 and a lower pH, thus they will be what you want.

On the nutrient side of things it is harder to answer. If the anubias and other slow growing plants ( java fern, bucephalandra etc.) are the only ones present in the aquarium and the light level is low,you can likely omit the extra fertilizer. A small dose of trace fertilizer with extra K (Potassium) once a week might be enough
Yes Anubias is the only specie plant I do and my light is just the current usa freshwater satellite which is only 15W in total with white and blue light but I only use the white light and dim it to around 70-80% power. I am wondering if API Leaf Zone will going to work for the extra K and iron?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 02:02 AM
Wannabe Guru

I don't know the conc of API Leafzone but it seems to cover those, minimal fertilization is enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukydaf View Post
I don't know the conc of API Leafzone but it seems to cover those, minimal fertilization is enough.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Any other brand is good?
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 12:08 AM
Wannabe Guru

Frankly for Anubias only I would not bother with fertilizers, they get most of what they need from the fish food/metabolism and water changes. If you have specific problems it helps to know which problems and remedy only those.

However if you want to be sure and an easy way, you could get Seachem Flourish, JBL Florapol ( also has a lot of K and traces), Easy Life line or Tropica Plant Fertilizer. You could also make your own solution for K from K2SO4. As Anubias are mainly slow growers, I do not see there is a risk of running low on traces really.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:58 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think you need to add traces because the Anubias will get that from water changes. You should pamper them with micro nutrients and add some Potassium Sulfate or Potassium Chloride. I get a Potassium deficiency in my Anubias when I don't add K. I add 1/8 teaspoon per 20 gallons Potassium Sulfate 3 times a week. This eliminated my problem with holes in leaves. Dustin at Dustin's Fishtanks says his friend Scott melted his Anubias with water that was too soft. I wouldn't worry about traces, Nitrate or Phosphate. Just add micros and some Potassium and don't let the water get too soft.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

I grow anubias in water of PH6.6 and a KH3. It grows great and flowers frequently.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I just need something like Seachem Flourish Potassium? For trace which is something like Seachem Flourish right? Also what about iron, do I need to worry about that?
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 07:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Seachem Flourish has Potassium, iron and traces. There are also very small amounts of Nitrogen and phosphate. So seachem Flourish alone is enough, maybe you could 3ven get by at half the recommended dose

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode