green water heeelp - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
green water heeelp

okay i got my ph going down increasing the bubble count worked. Now my problem is with green water. I have 125 gallon tank lightly planted for now i have 4 96w pc compact lights 6700k. I only run half because everytime i turn them all on my water turns really green like you cant see 2" into the tank. My water parameters are listed below any recomidations would be appericiated.

ph 7.6
gh-3.36dh
kh-5.04dh
N03-5mg
nh3/nh4-0
n02-0
po4-1mg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:17 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
All I want to know is how old is the tank ?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2004, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

i have had it up an running for 2 months

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 01:26 PM

With that kind of light, you really need to plant densely. I fought my green water by using floaters (wisteria), cut lighting period to 6 hours/day and stop dosing any micro/traces. Aslo keep the nitrate at 5ppm and PO4 at 0.25 ppm.

It's quite normal for a newly planted tank. Just plant more and wait.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 11:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Green water

Yeah, it sucks, I know. I had 2 solid green tanks for the first couple of months that they were set up. I kept using my diatom filter to clear it up, but it would keep coming back again and again until the plants got fully established. On the plus side, the green water kept all the other algae down and when it cleared up, the tank was virtually algae free.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 12:24 AM Thread Starter

okay bought 4 bundles of wisteria, 3 bundles of moneywort, and 3 bundles of red ludgwea. Each bundle has between 4-5 stems in each. Should that be enough to be considered densily planted. I also have plants in their i had when i started up the tank. I have 2 bundles of each when i first started the tank. So total i have 6 bundles of wisteria, 5 bundles of moneywort, and 5 bundles of red ludgwea.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

i do water changes weekly and i still have green water i dose with fleet enema 3ml after every water change. should quit dosing to see what happens just trying to get rid of the green water had since i set my tank up.

ph 7.6
gh-3.36dh
kh-5.04dh
N03-5mg
nh3/nh4-0
n02-0
po4-1mg
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 04:25 AM

I have learned that if you leave it alone for about 2 weeks, dont do anything except for Nitrates ~10 and Phosphates ~1 and dose some Potassium, then it will go away on its own. It has happened for me twice now. Hard to do but it works....

Philip
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 05:25 AM

Dose less fleet enema. The way you dose it (3ml) increase PO4 by 1ppm straight away which is fine IF your tank is established and densely planted. Just dose 1ml twice a week and increase the dosage after gw is gone. This way you're sure that there is no excess PO4 build up in your tank.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 08:21 AM

Get a UV sterilizer. It will clear it up in 2 days to a week. Get at least a 13W.
That will hold back your green water until your plants grow in.
I had to do this for my 100g when i started it up.

I had a disaster in my 100g discus tank with green water. I could not see past 3 inches. It choked up the oxygen so badly at night that it created an ideal condition for the parasite costia which normally is only in low numbers in the aquarium. Overnight the costia infested my discus (these parasites can multiply and divide on teh skin itself in a matter of hours) and the slime coat was literally falling off the skin. Secondary infections set in and it took temps of 92F, heavy salt, and antibiotics to cure it in a hospital tank. It was immune to the normal drug treatments and only the heat could kill it.

100% water changes in the planted 100g was no good. GW came back in 2 days!!!! I did it twice. Still no good.

My UV sterilizer was still coming in the mail all this time but it worked when it got here. AFter it died off it never came back. I turned the UV off. My lesson, if you got valuable fish, always have a UV sterilizer handy and avoid conditions leading up to green water!!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode