Do I need to dose more Metricide? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I need to dose more Metricide?

So after battling BBA for a while, I finally got it under control and had new leaves sprouting with no BBA at all. I recently switched from 7 mL Excel per day to 4 mL Metricide 14 per day on my 36 gallon bowfront, and of course, BBA began to pop up on my BBA-free leaves within a few days. It's driving me nuts! Nothing else has changed. I thought 4 mL was more than enough based on everything I've read here, but now I'm wondering if I should go higher. Has anybody else gone with higher amounts with no problems? How much higher? I'm cautious because, although I want beautiful BBA-free plants, I obviously don't want to poison my fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi smb88,

Which Metricide you you purchase? Metricide 14 or Metricide 28? Did you add the 'activator' or not?

Metricide 14 is 2.6% glutaraldehyde (the active ingredient in Excel) and Metricide 28 is 2.5% glutaraldehyde. If you dosing 7 ml of Seachem Excel then the equivalent would be 4.2 ml of Metricide.

For Excel 5ml per 10 gallons is the Initial Dose and 5ml per 50 gallons is the daily dose; the likely water volume in your tank is +/-29 gallons (allowing -20% for substrate) so your 4ml of Metricide per day is almost 2X the recommended daily dose - I have dosed that high but I would not go higher. In fact, I found that dosing 2X the recommended level actually inhibited the growth of some of the species in my tanks.

I don't get BBA often anymore but I did at one time. I found that it seemed to show up when I was lazy in my maintenance and not doing my weekly water changes or had neglected cleaning my filter and detritus had built up. I also found that using Seachem Purigen in my canister filters reduced the amount of dissolved organics in my tanks and seemed to reduce the problem. I would suggest trying the 3 items I just mentioned and if that doesn't reduce the BBA try cutting back on your photoperiod and/or light intensity.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2017, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi Seattle,

Thanks for responding. I purchased Metricide 14 and did not add the activator. Based on what you said, I definitely won't be going any higher. I'm thinking about possibly even lowering the dose. I just can't figure out why switching from Excel to Metricide seemed to cause the sudden BBA outbreak.

I do weekly 25% water changes. I think cleaning out the filters is a good idea; it's been a while since they've had a good scrubbing. As far as the Seachem Purigen goes, how does that affect fertilizers added to the water? I'm a little concerned about adding it because my nitrate levels are already pretty low. Last time I checked, it was right around 10 ppm.

I've struggled with lighting for a while, but I finally had it at what seemed to be the right intensity when I was dosing Excel because my new leaves remained BBA-free. I have the Odyssea T5HO dual 24-inch, which was way too much intensity. I ended up raising it 11 inches above the surface (about 31 inches from the bottom of the tank) and added a thick layer of floating water sprite. Although all of my other plants are slow growers, I would be surprised if the light intensity is still too high.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi smb88,

I agree, don't add any more Metricide than you are currently dosing and if you can dropping the amount would be even better. Cleaning the filter will remove a source of organics, as will removing any detritus in the tank. Seachem Purigen removes the organic compounds (such as some of the common compounds excreted by fish like urea [(NH2)2CO], uric acid [C5H4N4O3], and creatinine [C4H7N3O]) before they are able to degrade into ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and therefore has no effect on the chemical nitrogen that you are dosing. I would also suggest increasing the amount of water you change on a weekly basis to 50% and possibly increase the frequency to 2X per week if the problem persists.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to IUnknown
smb88,
H202 works great on bba. Turn off your filter, get a spray bottle with h202 and spot treat the bba. Let it sit for 30 min and start the filter back up. Should turn red in a day.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. I will give both of your suggestions a try. I've already cleaned both of my filters out; both definitely needed it, so I'm hoping that will help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUnknown View Post
smb88,
H202 works great on bba. Turn off your filter, get a spray bottle with h202 and spot treat the bba. Let it sit for 30 min and start the filter back up. Should turn red in a day.
I have heard about this with Excel. Would Metricide work just as well, or do you think that H2o2 works better?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode